I'm So Bored Of The USA

General music discussion.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by 101Walterton » 02 Aug 2017, 10:03pm

I'm listening to Blur and Magic America came on and it made me think about how many songs there are by UK bands about America but I can't name one song about UK or England by a US band???
Are there any?

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1121
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by gkbill » 02 Aug 2017, 11:37pm

Hello,

England Swings (Like a Pendulum Do) - Roger Miller?

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15386
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by JennyB » 03 Aug 2017, 9:11am

Does Werewolves of London count?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Heston » 03 Aug 2017, 9:38am

Is that not because most Americans are naturally insular? :shifty:
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19918
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by matedog » 03 Aug 2017, 10:27am

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Heston » 03 Aug 2017, 10:32am

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
Wait, aren't Rancid English?
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19918
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by matedog » 03 Aug 2017, 10:44am

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:32am
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
Wait, aren't Rancid English?
You are thinking of Green Day.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71141
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Aug 2017, 10:46am

Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Inder » 03 Aug 2017, 10:49am


Jimmy Jazz
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1490
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 6:40pm

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Jimmy Jazz » 03 Aug 2017, 10:56am

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
This is probably why it's not as common this way. The American band comes off as posers, or as they would say, poseurs.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19918
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by matedog » 03 Aug 2017, 11:59am

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:56am
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
This is probably why it's not as common this way. The American band comes off as posers, or as they would say, poseurs.
Lars is a terrible vocalist, so that really drags an otherwise good song down a bit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Heston » 03 Aug 2017, 12:11pm

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 11:59am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:56am
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
This is probably why it's not as common this way. The American band comes off as posers, or as they would say, poseurs.
Lars is a terrible vocalist, so that really drags an otherwise good song down a bit.
I like Lars' voice, Tim is the one who can't sing.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19918
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by matedog » 03 Aug 2017, 12:26pm

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 12:11pm
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 11:59am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:56am
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
This is probably why it's not as common this way. The American band comes off as posers, or as they would say, poseurs.
Lars is a terrible vocalist, so that really drags an otherwise good song down a bit.
I like Lars' voice, Tim is the one who can't sing.
I always find Lars tries way too hard and it grates on me. Tim's voice is so weird and works in a way that it really shouldn't.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Heston » 03 Aug 2017, 12:54pm

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 12:26pm
Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 12:11pm
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 11:59am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:56am
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 10:27am
This is probably why it's not as common this way. The American band comes off as posers, or as they would say, poseurs.
Lars is a terrible vocalist, so that really drags an otherwise good song down a bit.
I like Lars' voice, Tim is the one who can't sing.
I always find Lars tries way too hard and it grates on me. Tim's voice is so weird and works in a way that it really shouldn't.
I can see where you're coming from. Anyway, I think they work well together despite their shortcomings.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: I'm So Bored Of The USA

Post by Inder » 03 Aug 2017, 12:56pm

It's astonishing how little Lars' singing has changed in like 25 years.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests