Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

General music discussion.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49250
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Wolter » 04 May 2010, 1:31pm

eumaas wrote:Totally forgot this:
"Brötzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."
- Bill Clinton, when asked by the Oxford American to name a musician people would be surprised he listened to.
I am somewhat surprised. I would have assumed he was more mainstream in his tastes.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25039
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Flex » 04 May 2010, 1:48pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:Totally forgot this:
"Brötzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."
- Bill Clinton, when asked by the Oxford American to name a musician people would be surprised he listened to.
I am somewhat surprised. I would have assumed he was more mainstream in his tastes.
Yeah, that is surprising.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 04 May 2010, 2:29pm

William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

I only really know Parker & Drake through their association with Brotzmann, so I was surprised when this disc turned out to be post-bop strongly reminiscent of the mature Lounge Lizards, Jarrett's American Quartet (with Redman, Haden, Motian), and ultimately a descendant of Ornette and Mingus, I suppose. Kory, I think you would like this one a lot--it's very inside-outside. Not so restructural or angular as Braxton's similar outings, it could conceivably fit on a mainstream festival bill.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 04 May 2010, 9:38pm

"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 05 May 2010, 10:57am

Han Bennink:
Image
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 05 May 2010, 11:45am

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Brotzmann, Schlippenbach (piano), Lovens (drums), and Kowald (bass) playing "Song of the United Front"--this is fucking awesome.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7408
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Kory » 05 May 2010, 2:41pm

eumaas wrote:William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

I only really know Parker & Drake through their association with Brotzmann, so I was surprised when this disc turned out to be post-bop strongly reminiscent of the mature Lounge Lizards, Jarrett's American Quartet (with Redman, Haden, Motian), and ultimately a descendant of Ornette and Mingus, I suppose. Kory, I think you would like this one a lot--it's very inside-outside. Not so restructural or angular as Braxton's similar outings, it could conceivably fit on a mainstream festival bill.
Nice, I'll check it out today at the store.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 05 May 2010, 4:41pm

http://www.chriscomerradio.com/brotzm/brotzm5-10-05.htm

You guys gotta check out the track the dude plays at the end. It's awesome.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 06 May 2010, 2:15pm

Holy shit!
He began to develop methods of rapidly layering harmonics and false notes to create dense contrapuntal weaves; these involved experiments with plastic reeds, circular breathing and rapid tonguing which initially were so intense that he would find blood dripping onto the floor from the saxophone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Parker
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7408
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Kory » 06 May 2010, 2:17pm

Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

I only really know Parker & Drake through their association with Brotzmann, so I was surprised when this disc turned out to be post-bop strongly reminiscent of the mature Lounge Lizards, Jarrett's American Quartet (with Redman, Haden, Motian), and ultimately a descendant of Ornette and Mingus, I suppose. Kory, I think you would like this one a lot--it's very inside-outside. Not so restructural or angular as Braxton's similar outings, it could conceivably fit on a mainstream festival bill.
Nice, I'll check it out today at the store.
Yeah, this was pretty cool--I've introduced it to my hold stack.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by eumaas » 06 May 2010, 2:28pm

eumaas wrote:Holy shit!
He began to develop methods of rapidly layering harmonics and false notes to create dense contrapuntal weaves; these involved experiments with plastic reeds, circular breathing and rapid tonguing which initially were so intense that he would find blood dripping onto the floor from the saxophone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Parker
I can't be the only one impressed by this level of badassery. Now, it's not quite as badassed as Colin Jerwood breaking his neck during a concert and keeping the fuck on, but it's still pretty badass.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49250
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Wolter » 06 May 2010, 2:32pm

eumaas wrote:
eumaas wrote:Holy shit!
He began to develop methods of rapidly layering harmonics and false notes to create dense contrapuntal weaves; these involved experiments with plastic reeds, circular breathing and rapid tonguing which initially were so intense that he would find blood dripping onto the floor from the saxophone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Parker
I can't be the only one impressed by this level of badassery. Now, it's not quite as badassed as Colin Jerwood breaking his neck during a concert and keeping the fuck on, but it's still pretty badass.
I'm pretty impressed.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

CorwoodRep
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 2:39am

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by CorwoodRep » 06 May 2010, 2:38pm

I'm gonna download some of his stuff just because of that anecdote. That is punk fucking rock.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25039
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Flex » 06 May 2010, 2:39pm

Anytime someone plays music so hard it makes them bleed, I approve.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7408
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Satch's Late Night (The Jazz Thread)

Post by Kory » 06 May 2010, 2:44pm

Flex wrote:Anytime someone plays music so hard it makes them bleed, I approve.
You should have seen my hardcore band. I was like a firehose of sanguinity.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests