Who Is Writing It Down?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Who Is Writing It Down?

Post by 101Walterton »

Like most (if not all) of us on here I was brought up listening to youngs bands singing about their struggles in life, the political problems that affected their lives and the world and terrorism. Bands like The Clash, The Ruts, Stiff Little Fingers, The Specials etc etc When I was in a band as a 14/15 year old we tried (badly) to write our songs on what was happening to us and our friends, the violence in every day life, the bomb threat, the horror of being in the army (after a friend's older brother was killed in Ireland at 17).
Today, with everything that is happening in the world, who is writing about it? Who is documenting these atrocities and writing the protest songs? I listen to the radio or my kids music and all I hear is songs about self indulgence, phones, clothes, petty squabbles, love and break up songs??

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Who Is Writing It Down?

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 3:20pm
Like most (if not all) of us on here I was brought up listening to youngs bands singing about their struggles in life, the political problems that affected their lives and the world and terrorism. Bands like The Clash, The Ruts, Stiff Little Fingers, The Specials etc etc When I was in a band as a 14/15 year old we tried (badly) to write our songs on what was happening to us and our friends, the violence in every day life, the bomb threat, the horror of being in the army (after a friend's older brother was killed in Ireland at 17).
Today, with everything that is happening in the world, who is writing about it? Who is documenting these atrocities and writing the protest songs? I listen to the radio or my kids music and all I hear is songs about self indulgence, phones, clothes, petty squabbles, love and break up songs??
Well yeah, pop music is going to be about self indulgence, clothes, break up songs, etc. It always has been, always will be.

Hip hop is probably the most vital genre in terms of documenting the struggles and violence in a particular community (almost always African American in this case). Kendrick and Run the Jewels are very obvious examples of just top tier music coming out these days addressing the issues of the day.

Rock is far less vital genre these days, but Jeff Rosenstock's amazing album "WORRY." last year addressed police brutality (The Fuzz), complacency in today's youth (To Be a Ghost), and a lot of more personal subjects (love and lost, etc.). Arcade Fire's albums are always great and always political.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Definitely in grime yeah

I was gonna put power chords to this but its less tacky as a poem.

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
Today, with everything that is happening in the world, who is writing about it? Who is documenting these atrocities and writing the protest songs?
Sleaford Mods

They are loathsome offensive brutes, but I can't look away
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 7:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
Today, with everything that is happening in the world, who is writing about it? Who is documenting these atrocities and writing the protest songs?
Sleaford Mods

Best live act I've seen in years.

There will be plenty of bands out there who are dabbling in politics (I love the King Blues for instance), but how much of it will drip through to the general public? The splintered nature of the current music scene means whatever you're after, you just need to go and look for.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 1:16am
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Sleaford Mods

There will be plenty of bands out there who are dabbling in politics (I love the King Blues for instance), but how much of it will drip through to the general public? The splintered nature of the current music scene means whatever you're after, you just need to go and look for.
I realise there must be some bands writing about the troubles but I was referring to the mainstream. You don't hear it in commercial radio or in the charts like you used to. Is it only for underground now?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 4:10am
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Sleaford Mods

I realise there must be some bands writing about the troubles but I was referring to the mainstream. You don't hear it in commercial radio or in the charts like you used to. Is it only for underground now?
The charts are for children now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 4:37am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Sleaford Mods

Because the children aren't interested?
Can't imagine either of my kids listening to songs about suicide bombers at pop concerts or random knife massacres and both are older than I was when I was singing about riots and bombings.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 4:37am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Sleaford Mods

Hey Heston leave those kids alone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Green Day.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

drowninghere wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 5:21pm
Never heard of her, but this was great.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

My band Crash & The Crapenters are writing about issues that are relevant in Australia at the moment!
The sentencing for paedophiles in our justice system is a fucking joke, this track of ours relates to the issue;

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Youth suicide is an epidemic in Australia at the moment, this is our track relating to the issue, cheers to anyone who checks these out;