I have An Addiction

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Feb 2018, 3:06pm

Acquired a few music docs in the last bit: Sad Vacation, about Sid & Nancy; Athens, GA: Inside/Out; and Salad Days, about Washington, DC's punk scene in the 80s. I've only watched the first, tho. Have to say that I'm now sympathetic to the view that Sid didn't kill her (which isn't the same as convinced). The combination of his drug-addled state and the parade of iffy people in their lives raises enough doubt in my mind.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

WestwayKid
Long Time Jerk

Post by WestwayKid » 14 Feb 2018, 3:16pm

There a great couple of lines from one of the interviews on the Some Product LP and I'm typing from memory - but I hope you all get the gist of it.

Interviewer asks where Sid is and then someone (I think Jones) says "He's gone missin'" and the interview asks if that happens a lot and then Lydon says: "Maybe one day it will become peeerrrrmmm-a-nent. Ta, ta, da. Sooorrryyy, Sidney."

Did he kill her? I've never believed he meant to do it (if he did - in fact - kill her) - but who knows. The whole scene did indeed seem to be clouded by way too many drugs and way too many seedy people so anything is possible.

I blame the New York Dolls for bringing that crap over and maybe it would have gotten there anyway - but Sid seemed like a decent fellow before he got strung out (which, I suppose - could be said about a lot of people).

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 14 Feb 2018, 5:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 3:06pm
Acquired a few music docs in the last bit: Sad Vacation, about Sid & Nancy; Athens, GA: Inside/Out; and Salad Days, about Washington, DC's punk scene in the 80s. I've only watched the first, tho. Have to say that I'm now sympathetic to the view that Sid didn't kill her (which isn't the same as convinced). The combination of his drug-addled state and the parade of iffy people in their lives raises enough doubt in my mind.
Salad Days is great - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And I agree with you about Sid.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

oliver
Junco Partner

Post by oliver » 14 Feb 2018, 8:22pm

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 3:03pm
Inder wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 3:00pm
I just looked up John Otway on Wikipedia and he seems really interesting. I'll definitely be checking this out. 😎
My main placing of him is in The Young Ones with a punky guitar version of Body Talk.
I don't know how many times I've seen that but had no idea it was John Otway. My only known experience of him was hearing "Headbutts" on some compilation tape back in the day.

Would like to see that docu though
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Feb 2018, 8:58am

JennyB wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 3:06pm
Salad Days is great - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And I agree with you about Sid.
Watched Salad Days this morning. Quite well constructed and persuasive of the significance of a (long) moment of creativity in a community of dissent. Unless I missed it, tho, there was no mention of the problem of Nazi punks polluting the scene. I also would have liked a bit more attention to straight edge, especially how this idea could go into wildly different areas, from self-discipline and improvement and living life within an explicit moral frame to intolerant puritanism and judgement. The thing that most struck me, however, is how well spoken and often soft spoken the vets of the scene sound decades later. For a genre that was/is all about passion and loud expression, it's always a bit jarring to hear (former) punks speak in a decidedly non-aggressive, but rather soothing manner. It reinforces the thoughtfulness that underlies punk's anger. Anyway, well worth watching and considering.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 22 Feb 2018, 3:45pm

Does the film have any connection to the book of same name? I loved the book, and that did discuss the Nazi issue.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Feb 2018, 3:48pm

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:45pm
Does the film have any connection to the book of same name? I loved the book, and that did discuss the Nazi issue.
Spoke? I bought the Kindle version of it this morning ($2—why not?) but haven't done more than flip thru some of the photos.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 22 Feb 2018, 3:50pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:48pm
Spoke? I bought the Kindle version of it this morning ($2—why not?) but haven't done more than flip thru some of the photos.
My bad, the book was Dance of Days, not Salad Days. Same topic tho, obviously.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Feb 2018, 3:52pm

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:48pm
My bad, the book was Dance of Days, not Salad Days. Same topic tho, obviously.
Ah. Same publisher, tho.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 May 2018, 10:04am

Watched this this morning:

This gungy, vermin- and insect-filled studio in Brooklyn where a number of avant NY-based artists (e.g., Afrika Bambaataa, Sonic Youth, Swans) recorded. Musicos will get more out of it than me, but I enjoyed it for the intense, obsessive quality of those involved—artists who are doing their thing, never worrying about how many copies will sell and the like. It's also useful for touching on the politics of geography, especially as the neighbourhood starts to gentrify.
Endut! Hoch Hech!