I have An Addiction

General music discussion.
JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by JennyB » 08 May 2017, 9:21am

The Rodney Bingenheimer doc is really good.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

JohnS
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 400
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by JohnS » 08 May 2017, 11:22am

There's one rockumentary that everyone HAS to watch, and that's not just because (ahem) I was one of the producers
(well, along with several hundred other idiots who pledged money to get it made)
'Otway - The Movie'

http://otwaythemovie.com/home.html
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 481
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by coffeepotman » 08 May 2017, 1:41pm

JennyB wrote:
08 May 2017, 9:21am
The Rodney Bingenheimer doc is really good.
The Mayor of Sunset Strip? Very good...a little sad

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by revbob » 08 May 2017, 6:39pm

JennyB wrote:
08 May 2017, 9:21am
The Rodney Bingenheimer doc is really good.
I'd never heard of him just read the wikipedia write up, thanks JennyB.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by JennyB » 09 May 2017, 10:02am

revbob wrote:
08 May 2017, 6:39pm
JennyB wrote:
08 May 2017, 9:21am
The Rodney Bingenheimer doc is really good.
I'd never heard of him just read the wikipedia write up, thanks JennyB.
You're welcome. As Coffeepotman said, it's really good but kind of sad.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 481
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by coffeepotman » 10 May 2017, 12:51pm

Just watched the Rodney doc again last night and it was really sad but a very good move. Here is a list from Rollingstone magazine of some good docs, I don't agree with all of it but there are some good ones here. http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/list ... s-20140815

Right now I'm digging Urgh and X the Unheard Music

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by 101Walterton » 19 May 2017, 6:14pm

Watched a doco on Pet Sounds last night. What is it with this board and Mike Love?
He talked about him being accused of not liking or not rating Pet Sounds but he denied that.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 May 2017, 6:20pm

101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:14pm
Watched a doco on Pet Sounds last night. What is it with this board and Mike Love?
He talked about him being accused of not liking or not rating Pet Sounds but he denied that.
He's lying. He is quite open in evaluating music based on its level of commercial success, and Pet Sounds was not commercial, especially in relation to past Beach Boys' hits. That Pet Sounds is understood to be a classic, watershed album now has forced him to toe the line lest he come off as a complete boor, but in his heart of hearts he believes "Kokomo" is superior to every on that album because it sold better.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by revbob » 19 May 2017, 6:40pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:14pm
Watched a doco on Pet Sounds last night. What is it with this board and Mike Love?
He talked about him being accused of not liking or not rating Pet Sounds but he denied that.
He's lying. He is quite open in evaluating music based on its level of commercial success, and Pet Sounds was not commercial, especially in relation to past Beach Boys' hits. That Pet Sounds is understood to be a classic, watershed album now has forced him to toe the line lest he come off as a complete boor, but in his heart of hearts he believes "Kokomo" is superior to every on that album because it sold better.
I've never listened to Pet Sounds does is live up to the hype?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 May 2017, 6:56pm

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:14pm
Watched a doco on Pet Sounds last night. What is it with this board and Mike Love?
He talked about him being accused of not liking or not rating Pet Sounds but he denied that.
He's lying. He is quite open in evaluating music based on its level of commercial success, and Pet Sounds was not commercial, especially in relation to past Beach Boys' hits. That Pet Sounds is understood to be a classic, watershed album now has forced him to toe the line lest he come off as a complete boor, but in his heart of hearts he believes "Kokomo" is superior to every on that album because it sold better.
I've never listened to Pet Sounds does is live up to the hype?
I respect it more than I like it (with the exception of the more notable tracks). But I'm not more than a casual BB listener, so there's that. But appreciating it in historical context, it was like no other pop album that had been released, let alone something by a surf pop band. Dylan and the Beatles usually get the most credit for making rock n roll serious—art, really—but PS has an equal or greater claim.

(Flex, obviously, will be able to make an articulate advocation of PS.)
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by 101Walterton » 19 May 2017, 7:00pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:56pm
revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:14pm
Watched a doco on Pet Sounds last night. What is it with this board and Mike Love?
He talked about him being accused of not liking or not rating Pet Sounds but he denied that.
He's lying. He is quite open in evaluating music based on its level of commercial success, and Pet Sounds was not commercial, especially in relation to past Beach Boys' hits. That Pet Sounds is understood to be a classic, watershed album now has forced him to toe the line lest he come off as a complete boor, but in his heart of hearts he believes "Kokomo" is superior to every on that album because it sold better.
I've never listened to Pet Sounds does is live up to the hype?
I respect it more than I like it (with the exception of the more notable tracks). But I'm not more than a casual BB listener, so there's that. But appreciating it in historical context, it was like no other pop album that had been released, let alone something by a surf pop band. Dylan and the Beatles usually get the most credit for making rock n roll serious—art, really—but PS has an equal or greater claim.

(Flex, obviously, will be able to make an articulate advocation of PS.)
Good assessment. Probably hearing it now will not have same impact as it would at the time. I like some of the tracks in it but I am not a fan of BB although happy to hear them on the radio.
Great doco worth watching. Brian Wilson very clever man.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by 101Walterton » 19 May 2017, 7:07pm

What Love said in the doco was that the BB had a formula that worked and they sold a lot of records. Upon hearing PS he appreciated it for what it was but was worried that it would kill the BB as it was do far off their formula. It took 15 years to go Plstinum so I gues he was right in some respect although obviously didn't harm the BB long term.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 May 2017, 7:17pm

101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:07pm
What Love said in the doco was that the BB had a formula that worked and they sold a lot of records. Upon hearing PS he appreciated it for what it was but was worried that it would kill the BB as it was do far off their formula. It took 15 years to go Plstinum so I gues he was right in some respect although obviously didn't harm the BB long term.
I can believe that he appreciates the respect in retrospect—if only because it's sold well over the years—but it's no minor point that he spends more time talking about the genius of "Kokomo" than any other album or song. PS just doesn't rank highly to him because it didn't contribute to the hit-making machine. He has an accountant's appreciation of music.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by revbob » 19 May 2017, 8:05pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:07pm
What Love said in the doco was that the BB had a formula that worked and they sold a lot of records. Upon hearing PS he appreciated it for what it was but was worried that it would kill the BB as it was do far off their formula. It took 15 years to go Plstinum so I gues he was right in some respect although obviously didn't harm the BB long term.
I can believe that he appreciates the respect in retrospect—if only because it's sold well over the years—but it's no minor point that he spends more time talking about the genius of "Kokomo" than any other album or song. PS just doesn't rank highly to him because it didn't contribute to the hit-making machine. He has an accountant's appreciation of music.
I really think Kokomo could be used to provoke rage or revulsion in any normal person (can there honestly be any other acceptable reaction?). If Clockwork Orange were made today Kokomo would be used to send Alex into fits of vomiting.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I have An Addiction

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 May 2017, 8:09pm

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 8:05pm
I really think Kokomo could be used to provoke rage or revulsion in any normal person (can there honestly be any other acceptable reaction?). If Clockwork Orange were made today Kokomo would be used to send Alex into fits of vomiting.
It is a legitimate contender for worst song of the 80s (well-known songs, anyway). The only perverse quasi-redeeming quality is the insane pride that Mike Love has for it, which turns it into comedy.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests