The Challenge Thread

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13509
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 07 May 2018, 6:02am

Heston wrote:
07 May 2018, 5:52am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 4:43am
Heston wrote:
07 May 2018, 4:02am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 2:53am
Anyone want a Dubliners challenge?
If there's no takers I would do it. All I know is Seven Drunken Nights and Irish Rover really.
Cool, I'll start compiling a list of YouTubeable tracks.
Will probs be Thursday, I've cleared my diary to take Gene's challenge on that night.
Rocky Road to Dublin


Alabama '58


Banks of the Roses


Hand Me Down My Bible


McAlpine's Fusilers


Monto


Rare Old Mountain Dew


Home Boys Home


Finnegan's Wake


Muirsheen Durkin
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75831
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 07 May 2018, 6:13am

Heston wrote:
07 May 2018, 4:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 8:33pm
Drunk posting on the Lord's Day? Thatcher wept!
To be fair it's a Bank Holiday over here. I also retract that statement about the KISS thread now I've sobered up.
You can still keep your IDOOT PRZE, tho.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6492
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by revbob » 07 May 2018, 6:59am

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 May 2018, 9:58pm
sorry, revbob. I listened to and reviewed 6 of the seven tracks - carefully and non sarcastically (even had some positive things to say). and I lost the whole review and don't have the heart to do it again. so if you wanna just drop the Reed challenge I understand. i'm really shitty with computers. sorry man.
Hey man it happens. I often type things up in a separate app and then past it in if Im doing more than the usual banter. Im glad to hear you had some positive things to say, in the end isnt that what most of us are trying to accomplish here? I know that's my intent and Im all for exploring an unknown (to me) or overlooked artist. So no Im not dropping the Lou Reed challenge, its been the soundtrack for my morning commute. It will take me a few days to get some comments together. Im no Ratty mind you so my comments will be limited to one or two lines per song.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13509
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 07 May 2018, 7:48am

revbob wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:59am
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 May 2018, 9:58pm
sorry, revbob. I listened to and reviewed 6 of the seven tracks - carefully and non sarcastically (even had some positive things to say). and I lost the whole review and don't have the heart to do it again. so if you wanna just drop the Reed challenge I understand. i'm really shitty with computers. sorry man.
Hey man it happens. I often type things up in a separate app and then past it in if Im doing more than the usual banter. Im glad to hear you had some positive things to say, in the end isnt that what most of us are trying to accomplish here? I know that's my intent and Im all for exploring an unknown (to me) or overlooked artist. So no Im not dropping the Lou Reed challenge, its been the soundtrack for my morning commute. It will take me a few days to get some comments together. Im no Ratty mind you so my comments will be limited to one or two lines per song.
Any feelings about my Dubliners mix for Heston, rb?
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6492
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by revbob » 07 May 2018, 8:03am

Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:48am
Any feelings about my Dubliners mix for Heston, rb?
Absolutely, although I'm pretty familiar with a lot of their material there's a few you listed that I don't know. Back in the day I did an Irish music radio show.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13509
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 07 May 2018, 11:16am

revbob wrote:
07 May 2018, 8:03am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:48am
Any feelings about my Dubliners mix for Heston, rb?
Absolutely, although I'm pretty familiar with a lot of their material there's a few you listed that I don't know. Back in the day I did an Irish music radio show.
I remember your saying, yeah. We'll have to get good and folk-y one of these days on these electric neanderthals.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8752
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Inder » 07 May 2018, 11:54am

Heston wrote:
06 May 2018, 8:08pm
INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT
Thank you for this gift.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6492
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by revbob » 07 May 2018, 12:07pm

Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:16am
revbob wrote:
07 May 2018, 8:03am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:48am
Any feelings about my Dubliners mix for Heston, rb?
Absolutely, although I'm pretty familiar with a lot of their material there's a few you listed that I don't know. Back in the day I did an Irish music radio show.
I remember your saying, yeah. We'll have to get good and folk-y one of these days on these electric neanderthals.
You mean in terms of a challenge? Id enjoy that but don't who would be up for it.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Wolter » 07 May 2018, 12:11pm

Inder wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:54am
Heston wrote:
06 May 2018, 8:08pm
INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT
Thank you for this gift.
It’s a mitzvah.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Wolter » 07 May 2018, 12:17pm

Wolter wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:11pm
Inder wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:54am
Heston wrote:
06 May 2018, 8:08pm
INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT
Thank you for this gift.
It’s a mitzvah.
I just put my phone down, walked to the fridge to get lunch, thought of it again, and almost fell over laughing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23243
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by eumaas » 09 May 2018, 9:54am

Hello Heston, here is your Einstürzende Neubauten challenge.

16 tracks, mostly chronological. Some of the tracks are actual videos.


I consulted with Wolter when making this. The track "Armenia" is there mostly so you get an idea of what they looked like. They are famous for using pipes, chainsaws, shopping carts, metal springs etc as percussion instruments. The very last video is a little bonus video of Blixa Bargeld, the lead singer.

As this is chronological, the later tracks are generally more accessible. I emphasized accessible tracks over the abrasive early stuff, but there's still a lot of weirdness afoot. I did not try to sequence it for flow at all.

I figure you'll like at least one track, but who knows. I went two tracks shorter (technically three tracks as the last video isn't even music) because I think their songs were generally a bit longer than those on the KISS challenge, but I could be overcompensating. I tried to pick more recent uploads so that the sound quality would be better.

(if the above doesn't work, try: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WhMHFMnKBv )

Incidentally, Blixa did all the supernatural screams and shrieks in the film the Mummy (1999), and the whistling teakettle sound in "Salamandrina" is his voice.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16566
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by JennyB » 09 May 2018, 11:38am

HUGE influence on DM - I would say their influence changed the course of the band's direction. Solid choice, Gene.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27590
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Heston » 09 May 2018, 12:04pm

Cheers Gene, I will get on this tomorrow. I am familiar with their concept of not using normal instruments. This should be fun.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Wolter » 09 May 2018, 12:48pm

eumaas wrote:
09 May 2018, 9:54am


Incidentally, Blixa did all the supernatural screams and shrieks in the film the Mummy (1999)
i did not know this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27590
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Heston » 10 May 2018, 12:45pm

Sorry Gene and Maj, I'm going to have to do the challenge tomorrow instead of tonight.

Tomorrow will probably be better though, as I will be imbibing liquor and an exotic cigarette.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests