Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2018, 7:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 6:34am
Hey that's great Kory. They are a band with many facets to them. I found your comment about "Thrown Away" very interesting as you say "unified production" and cheap sounding instrumentation was because they had all their equipment stolen the whole truck with all their gear was taken just prior to recording the album that contains "Thrown Away".
I guess more bands should have that happen.
If only. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2018, 7:06pm
Something Happened - 2 stars, just kind of a generic rock tune, was this big in anyway? I could see that being the case.
Oh, and Rev - I meant to reply to this. No, it wasn't big at all. It's a track Lou did for the 'Permanent Record' soundtrack, featuring all Joe Strummer & the Latino Rockabilly War on side one of the original vinyl version. Lyrics concern, per the theme of the film, a friend's suicide. (as I recall, the film has a brief snippet of Lou recording the song; don't know what, if any, relation he had to the narrative of the movie itself though).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I finally got round to the Dubliners challenge...I poured myself a massive Irish Coffee earlier and got stuck in.

Being a big Pogues fan I'm obviously sympathetic to this genre. I'm also a regular visitor to the Tuesday night Irish busking session in my local, and I've now realized I know far more Dubliners songs than I thought I did. I've definitely never heard "Hand Me Down My Bible", which I rather enjoyed despite being a confirmed atheist. "Monto" was another previously unheard one I particularly enjoyed, I like them sounding as drunk and lairy as possible. I can't listen to "Home Boys Home" without thinking about the old bloke who sings it every week in my local. He dresses as Popeye to sing it, adding the Popeye the Sailor Man" song to the end of it. You probably have to be there.

I can see how they massively influenced the Pogues but the latter definitely brought something to the party. Anyway, a very pleasurable 40 minutes or so, I may pop up on the shamerd thread later if this whiskey disappears.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've been on one of my periodic Wolfgang Press blitzes the last few days. I don't think there's anyone here all that familiar with them—I'd wager that Marky is the exception—so if anyone wants to sample the funky little demons, I'm willing to step up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 11:08am
I've been on one of my periodic Wolfgang Press blitzes the last few days. I don't think there's anyone here all that familiar with them—I'd wager that Marky is the exception—so if anyone wants to sample the funky little demons, I'm willing to step up.
I've been meaning to dig in to them for ages now. I've done some sporadic listening here and there, but perhaps a focused recommendation might help.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 8:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 11:08am
I've been meaning to dig in to them for ages now. I've done some sporadic listening here and there, but perhaps a focused recommendation might help.
I'm pretty sure you'd like them. I'll put something together later today, tho it'll be dominated by singles as their best stuff ended up as singles.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, ya dang cow poop, here's ten songs from the under-appreciated 4AD band, The Wolfgang Press. I tried to limit the obvious picks from the superb Everything is Beautiful compilation, but it was hard not to replicate so much of it. Here's whatcha got (in rough chronological order):

01 The Burden of Mules
02 Respect [Elizabeth Fraser reluctantly participated]
03 Assassination K. / Kanserous [This is "Kansas" but with an extra 3 mins or so of an intro. The video is well worth viewing for its creepy/quality. One of my favourite music vids]
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
05 Shut the Door [One of my favourite bass lines anywhere]
06 Mama Told Me Not to Come (Up All Night Mix)
07 Time
08 Sucker (Martyn Young Mix) [This mix transforms an otherwise so-so song into something compelling]
09 Going South [The video revisits the “Kansas” video]
10 So Long Dead

https://mega.nz/#!5M82yZAC!yo26XcyXXiYX ... xSGVOU9RX4

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 7:58pm
Okay, ya dang cow poop, here's ten songs from the under-appreciated 4AD band, The Wolfgang Press. I tried to limit the obvious picks from the superb Everything is Beautiful compilation, but it was hard not to replicate so much of it. Here's whatcha got (in rough chronological order):

01 The Burden of Mules
03 Assassination K. / Kanserous [This is "Kansas" but with an extra 3 mins or so of an intro. The video is well worth viewing for its creepy/quality. One of my favourite music vids]
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
08 Sucker (Martyn Young Mix) [This mix transforms an otherwise so-so song into something compelling]
10 So Long Dead

Cool, I should be about to get on this over the weekend. Thanks!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 1:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

01 The Burden of Mules
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
10 So Long Dead

Remember: Don't break my heart.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

01 The Burden of Mules
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
10 So Long Dead

You have a heart?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

01 The Burden of Mules
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
10 So Long Dead

You have a heart?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 3:42pm
Kory wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

01 The Burden of Mules
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
10 So Long Dead

You have a heart?
Meduuuulllllaaaa....Meduuuulllllaaaaa....

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

For Revbob. Knock ya self out, kid.
"State Trooper" (1982)

"Preacher's Daughter" ('Darkness On the Edge of Town' outtake, 1978)

"Johnny 99" (1982)

"Straight Time" (1996)

"Pay Me My Money Down" (2005)

"Shut Out the Light" (b-side of "Born In the USA" single, 1984)

"Mrs. McGrath" (2005)

"The Line" (1996)

"Death to My Hometown" (2012)

"Hey Blue Eyes" (2014)

"American Land" (2012)
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

01 The Burden of Mules
04 Hang On Me (For Papa)
07 Time
10 So Long Dead

As you can probably tell, I wasn't able to get on it last weekend. However, Maggie is going to Paris on Friday, so I'll have all sorts of time this weekend. I hope to not let anyone down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:25pm
I hope to not let anyone down.
Low expectations are indeed your ally.