The Challenge Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:14pm
I literally just took a shit that's better than KISS. Unfortunately it'll never get any airplay nor mass acceptance with a wider audience.
You could name it Beth …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:20pm
revbob wrote:
I literally just took a shit that's better than KISS. Unfortunately it'll never get any airplay nor mass acceptance with a wider audience.
You could name it Beth …
I hope it was Hotter Than Hell.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:19pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 8:00pm

Verdict: So much better than KISS that superlatives lose all meaning.

Seriously though I liked your reviews enough so that I'll listen to a few again for nostalgia if nothing else.
No shit of yours will ever be better than Strutter.
No strut of yours will ever be better than Shitter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fair comments, Doc. And good on ya for giving it a go.

I wasn't able to get a chance to sit down and listen to the Idlewild selections. Ideally this evening.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Actually, follow up questions for Doc:

Would you say your opinion has changed about Pink Floyd? I can't recall if you found them loathsome before, or just "not to your taste." One thing I was trying to show was that they were a bit more varied than they're given credit for by haters, would you say that you were left with that impression? Also, I picked a few cuts that I thought would at least be interesting to you in the sense that they seemed like antecedents of some of the post-punk you like (wich you mention in your song reviews). Was that a connection you had with Pink Floyd already, or was it strengthened/weakened/stayed the same with the listening challenge?

And, finally finally, more just a comment on my selections: I'm very into the idea of Pink Floyd as a band that, despite having very creative (for the idiom they were working in, qualitative assessment of how people like their material aside) people take over in the band, never really escaped the shadow and their own fears and demons around the deterioration of Syd Barrett and how that stayed with them throughout their existence. It's very eerie and interesting, imho. And it was especially impactful on Roger Waters, whose music and lyrics were shaped by Barrett's absence on several key tracks and fused that with his own ardent leftism and growing nihilism. Just a fascinating cauldron of influences, interests and musical explorations. So, I was hoping to play up some of that in my song selection, which i figured would at least make it interesting even if one didn't walk away finding the music more pleasurable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Never hated them, they just didn't work for me, which I always found baffling given how often they were cited as a band that inspired post-punk and avant bands that I love. So I should like them. I should love Bowie for the same reason, tho I only casually enjoy him. I did find a lot more variety in them, more so than just the Syd Floyd and Roger Floyd, and could probably come to like the more spacey proggish stuff in time, even with the connotations of having to smoke dope to really dig it. I do think it was the more obvious blues stuff, with the solos, that pushed me away. Change that musicianly stuff to something noisier, dronier, and I'd be drawn in better, especially when there is that darker undercurrent that I liked.

I do appreciate you putting that together. I dl'd the first album this morning, to get Lucifer Sam, and will likely listen to it in the next few days.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Pink Floyd is really hard to dance to - just saying.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston's review of Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind was published.

Also: C'mon, no challenges?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 10:20am
Heston's review of Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind was published.

Also: C'mon, no challenges?
That's a great review it had me entertained from beginning to end and the little thing in the right corner about real music was the icing on the cake.

I would submit a challenge but I really don't know where to begin. I'm probably a more fitting victim.

Or on 2nd throught maybe I'll put together a list of stuff I've been into lately. It will be a mix of artists if that piques anyone's interests and I'll accept a challenge on someone else's part but no 80s synth pop anything else I'll give a fair listen to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 11:47am
Or on 2nd throught maybe I'll put together a list of stuff I've been into lately. It will be a mix of artists if that piques anyone's interests and I'll accept a challenge on someone else's part but no 80s synth pop anything else I'll give a fair listen to.
Heston's probably the most suitable victim for you, given his pop inclinations. Issue the challenge!

edit: Or Inder—he's pretty pop-friendly.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 1:28pm
revbob wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 11:47am
Heston's probably the most suitable victim for you, given his pop inclinations. Issue the challenge!

edit: Or Inder—he's pretty pop-friendly.

I think a lot of what I am listening to as of late is pretty accessible for those whose musical tastes are not tied to the current hits/flavor of the month.

Inder I would imagime would probably just give me a retrospective of post Beatles era McCartney

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

😤

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 2:38pm
😤
I thought that was a double middle finger emotional at first. Although I suppose the intent was more or less the same.

I gotta spend some time in airports, planes and hotels this week so I'll create a list and anyone who chooses can have at it. It will be different artists and styles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hey, remember when this existed? Anyway, my walk to and from campus today was all Cocteau Twins. Any Cocteau-skeptic or -curious person want to be challenged?

Also, I'm up for a Bowie challenge that doesn't involve his well-known songs. As I've said before, I should be a Bowie fan given the various touchstones and influence, but other than singles he's never grabbed me. But I can be persuaded …

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:43pm
Hey, remember when this existed? Anyway, my walk to and from campus today was all Cocteau Twins. Any Cocteau-skeptic or -curious person want to be challenged?

Also, I'm up for a Bowie challenge that doesn't involve his well-known songs. As I've said before, I should be a Bowie fan given the various touchstones and influence, but other than singles he's never grabbed me. But I can be persuaded …
Whoa, this was early 2017? It seems so much more recent.

I can give you a Bowie challenge. Let me sift back through the thread and see what the format is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc