Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:43pm
Hey, remember when this existed? Anyway, my walk to and from campus today was all Cocteau Twins. Any Cocteau-skeptic or -curious person want to be challenged?

Also, I'm up for a Bowie challenge that doesn't involve his well-known songs. As I've said before, I should be a Bowie fan given the various touchstones and influence, but other than singles he's never grabbed me. But I can be persuaded …
Whoa, this was early 2017? It seems so much more recent.

I can give you a Bowie challenge. Let me sift back through the thread and see what the format is.
Ten songs, either to be constructive/persuasive or punishment. The punishment thing might be more about Heston and me, tho. Man, did I love hurting him on that Swans challenge, but my boy accepted the abuse like a champ.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:48pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey, remember when this existed? Anyway, my walk to and from campus today was all Cocteau Twins. Any Cocteau-skeptic or -curious person want to be challenged?

Also, I'm up for a Bowie challenge that doesn't involve his well-known songs. As I've said before, I should be a Bowie fan given the various touchstones and influence, but other than singles he's never grabbed me. But I can be persuaded …

I can give you a Bowie challenge. Let me sift back through the thread and see what the format is.
Ten songs, either to be constructive/persuasive or punishment. The punishment thing might be more about Heston and me, tho. Man, did I love hurting him on that Swans challenge, but my boy accepted the abuse like a champ.
I have no motivation to hurt anybody with Bowie. I think I'll try to play to the post-punk connection. Anything I should know ahead of time so I don't give you a bunch of stuff you are already familiar with?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have no motivation to hurt anybody with Bowie. I think I'll try to play to the post-punk connection. Anything I should know ahead of time so I don't give you a bunch of stuff you are already familiar with?
I've probably listened to every album of his at least once. Nothing there at I dislike, just nothing that has seized me the way it seemingly should. Just skip the singles, I'd say.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:56pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've probably listened to every album of his at least once. Nothing there at I dislike, just nothing that has seized me the way it seemingly should. Just skip the singles, I'd say.
Alright, I'll start compiling. Keep an eye out!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Let me sift back through the thread and see what the format is.
I think the format was to destroy me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 6:37pm
Kory wrote:
The joke was on me: the toxic sludge you ingest as food has made you unkillable.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'd be up for one of these. Not really interested in punishment though.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 6:37pm
Kory wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I was actually going to do a Bowie challenge with Doc about a year ago, but the dude doesn't even acknowledge my existence, so at least you're not persona non gratis to him ;)
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'd be open to a Bowie challenge as well. I mainly only know Bowie stuff I've heard on the radio.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:01pm
Do have an opinion about/familiarity with Killing Joke? Just trying to come up with something you might dig but aren't really into.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:20pm
I'd be open to a Bowie challenge as well. I mainly only know Bowie stuff I've heard on the radio.
I could do ya one, differing, I reckon, from Kory's upcoming one with Doc Medulla. Straight up hard rocking guitar stuff's more your vibe, am I right Revbob? (I'd avoid the hits/singles, natch).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:54pm
revbob wrote:
Do have an opinion about/familiarity with Killing Joke? Just trying to come up with something you might dig but aren't really into.
I know the song 80s, which I like despite it being a bit poppy. For some reason I confuse them with Throbbing Gristle.

The question then is what to get for you...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:58pm
revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:20pm
I could do ya one, differing, I reckon, from Kory's upcoming one with Doc Medulla. Straight up hard rocking guitar stuff's more your vibe, am I right Revbob? (I'd avoid the hits/singles, natch).
Oh yeah that's the sweet spot keep doing it until I tell you to stop.

And then I need to figure out what I might share with you. Do you like horns?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I've got Doc pegged as a 3rd Wave Ska kind of guy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 8:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:54pm
revbob wrote:
I know the song 80s, which I like despite it being a bit poppy. For some reason I confuse them with Throbbing Gristle.

The question then is what to get for you...
You got me that KISS-Yankees shirt. Isn't that more than enough for one lifetime? :twitch: