Heston wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:22am
revbob wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 11:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
01 Feb 2017, 9:14am
I agree with Maj, the box is box is worth it for the remixed Red Roses and Peace and Love. Both serious upgrades.
Red Roses is not a serious upgrade to my ears just a little subtler while Pece and Love was remixed by Steve Lilliwhite and has Shane further up in the mix.

I never minded the original RRfM.
I tend to agree with this statement, its a grest album. I have the original vinyl release and later bought it on CD for a few bucks while traveling back in the late 90s.
Have to disagree. It's a great collection of songs but sounded like shit. Just listening to Streams of Whiskey on the remix, you can hear stuff that was inaudible on the original release, especially the rumble of the drums.
I agree very much with the statement in bold above and perhaps that's what carries the day for me that along with it being so new at the time I just thought it was great.

I guess I should check out the remix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: How did I not know there was an official Strummer - Pogues live album

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I agree with Maj, the box is box is worth it for the remixed Red Roses and Peace and Love. Both serious upgrades.
Red Roses is not a serious upgrade to my ears just a little subtler while Pece and Love was remixed by Steve Lilliwhite and has Shane further up in the mix.

I tend to agree with this statement, its a grest album. I have the original vinyl release and later bought it on CD for a few bucks while traveling back in the late 90s.
Have to disagree. It's a great collection of songs but sounded like shit. Just listening to Streams of Whiskey on the remix, you can hear stuff that was inaudible on the original release, especially the rumble of the drums.
I'm not suggesting the remix isn't better sounding. But I sure as hell didn't think it sounded like a shit mix when I first bought the vinyl on original release. I mean the whole point of a remix is to improve sound or it would be a pointless exercise.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:15pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm not suggesting the remix isn't better sounding. But I sure as hell didn't think it sounded like a shit mix when I first bought the vinyl on original release. I mean the whole point of a remix is to improve sound or it would be a pointless exercise.
MacGowan has criticized the production, in particular the vocals which he said made him sound like Pinky and Perky.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

MacGowan has criticized the production, in particular the vocals which he said made him sound like Pinky and Perky.
Don't think anyone is disputing who said what about the mix. I'm saying when I firt heard it I didn't think it was that bad at all. Unlike Peace and Love where the producer knew he had mixed Shane too low. Did you buy it on first release on vinyl? It sounds far better on vinyl to my ears than on the CD.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

Don't think anyone is disputing who said what about the mix. I'm saying when I firt heard it I didn't think it was that bad at all. Unlike Peace and Love where the producer knew he had mixed Shane too low. Did you buy it on first release on vinyl? It sounds far better on vinyl to my ears than on the CD.
No, I've not heard it on vinyl. I think the CD that came down to me was from about the original release slot. Could be there was a mastering flub similar to what happened on No 10 Upping St. Similar bottom is missing from both.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

No, I've not heard it on vinyl. I think the CD that came down to me was from about the original release slot. Could be there was a mastering flub similar to what happened on No 10 Upping St. Similar bottom is missing from both.
That's quite possible. Although it could be just a case of CD limitations like when we first heard The Clash ST on CD. I know loads of us thought "that doesn't sound like the old vinyl".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

First time I heard Red Roses it was on vinyl from my local record library. Have to be honest and say I thought the production was lacking compared to Rum Sodomy, which I'd heard first. It sounded like it was recorded inside a dustbin.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 6:19pm
First time I heard Red Roses it was on vinyl from my local record library. Have to be honest and say I thought the production was lacking compared to Rum Sodomy, which I'd heard first. It sounded like it was recorded inside a dustbin.
First album was recorded by Stan Brenan and it certainly could've done with a more experienced producer. But it did capture the essence of their sound. I always thought the Peel sessions sounded better to be honest.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 9:10pm
Heston wrote:
First album was recorded by Stan Brenan and it certainly could've done with a more experienced producer. But it did capture the essence of their sound. I always thought the Peel sessions sounded better to be honest.
Red Roses on vinyl sounded OK to me; the first CD version was awful and the Rhino release with the extras was a huge improvement, as Heston says, you could really hear new things. Haven't heard the newest one - it's a full on remix, not just remaster? same for Peace & Love -full remix by Lillywhite? Shane's vox were definitely too low on that, and it's such a dense and diverse album it really needed an upgrade (sort of the Pogues Sandinista! in some fashion). But you don't get the extras with the new versions? That's dumb as hell. Poguetry In Motion is a pretty major EP, sorta like Clash's CoL.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Roses on vinyl sounded OK to me; the first CD version was awful and the Rhino release with the extras was a huge improvement, as Heston says, you could really hear new things. Haven't heard the newest one - it's a full on remix, not just remaster? same for Peace & Love -full remix by Lillywhite? Shane's vox were definitely too low on that, and it's such a dense and diverse album it really needed an upgrade (sort of the Pogues Sandinista! in some fashion). But you don't get the extras with the new versions? That's dumb as hell. Poguetry In Motion is a pretty major EP, sorta like Clash's CoL.
The 30 years box has no extras. That was my original groan in this thread. Red Roses and Peace & Love are remixed. The box set is decently priced at £30.00 and 8 CD's is great value and has a pretty dececent package but for me some of the finest Pogues songs are on the EP's, singles, b-sides. I guess I like the completist approach to reissuing. For those fans that already owned the CD's with the extras then there is a ton of repetition. The newly remixed albums sound the best and the live disc is excellent however I would've prefered separate releases as deluxe editions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Fully remixed mate. The difference on P and L is massive.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The remastered P&L is definitely worth a listen but the original will always remain the default setting for me. It's always been my favourite Pogues album so i guess I was happy with it the way it was and wasn't prepared for the changes. Blue Heaven in particular shocked me. I think they made a mess of a perfectly good song on the remaster.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:08am
The remastered P&L is definitely worth a listen but the original will always remain the default setting for me. It's always been my favourite Pogues album so i guess I was happy with it the way it was and wasn't prepared for the changes. Blue Heaven in particular shocked me. I think they made a mess of a perfectly good song on the remaster.

The opposite of all this.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:21am
Low Down Low wrote:

Ah yeah, I wouldn't expect to be in anything other than a minority of one on this...

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:39am
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 6:21am
Low Down Low wrote:

Ah yeah, I wouldn't expect to be in anything other than a minority of one on this...
I think the optimum way to listen to the original Peace & Love mix is in a studio ripped on great 1980s cocaine at 2am with Steve Lilywhite and the production inclined members of the Pogues, everyone egging eachother on.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/