RAMONES

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: RAMONES

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'll have to wait to hear it myself, but I've heard a lot of complaints that these mono mixes actually sound tinnier than previous masters.
And I've heard a lot of complaints that YOU sound tinnier than previous masters, wingus mcdingus.
IT'S INTENTIONAL, SO I SOUND LIKE I'M ON AM RADIO BEING A DICK.
When you have no choice, intentions don't matter.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:I'll have to wait to hear it myself, but I've heard a lot of complaints that these mono mixes actually sound tinnier than previous masters.
Nope it sounds FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mono mix that is, with a lot of punch to it. I'm rarely pleased with new mixes but this is a fine job to my old ears.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:I'm listening to a preview of the Ramones first album in mono and it's KILLER! I thought this was just another cash grab but this is actually really good and side by side with the stereo version that we're all familiar with it is so much better.

http://www.ramones.com/exclusive-stream ... s-in-mono/
Yep it sounds great. I have a lot of stuff that was recorded in mono that sounds better than it's stereo counterpart.

In fact the best way to mix anything is in mono. I prefer mono deluxe to stereo.
I prefer the mono mix of Vilage Green by the Kinks. I've also come to realize most of the Beatles albums are better in mono in lieu of us ever getting proper stereo mixes on them.
The Beatles mono box is one of crown jewels of my collection.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
Nope it sounds FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mono mix that is, with a lot of punch to it. I'm rarely pleased with new mixes but this is a fine job to my old ears.
The mono craze is cool as hell but bloody expensive. Shit, now the Stones are gonna be releasing in mono everything from '64 to '69 (what the hell - Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed weren't ever released in mono, as far as I know, other than a couple singles. Do they actually remix/remaster this stuff to mono for these cash grabs?).
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 09 Sep 2016, 7:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The mono craze is cool as hell but bloody expensive. Shit, now the Stones are gonna be releasing in mono everything from '64 to '69 (what the hell - Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed weren't ever released in mono, as far as I know, other than a couple singles. Do they actually remaster this stuff to mono for these cash grabs?).
They were both released in mono. On Beggars Banquet (red label) I think only "Sympathy For The Devil" is a dedicated mono mix all the rest are fold down mixes of the stereo. The single mix of "Street Fighting Man" has a mono mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The mono craze is cool as hell but bloody expensive. Shit, now the Stones are gonna be releasing in mono everything from '64 to '69 (what the hell - Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed weren't ever released in mono, as far as I know, other than a couple singles. Do they actually remaster this stuff to mono for these cash grabs?).
They were both released in mono. On Beggars Banquet (red label) I think only "Sympathy For The Devil" is a dedicated mono mix all the rest are fold down mixes of the stereo. The single mix of "Street Fighting Man" has a mono mix.
Oh yeah, I've got the singles mono box, and you haven't rocked until you've heard that single mix of Street Fighting Man (extra backing vox all the way through and extra electric guitar parts).

The US London albums in mono were red labels. But my bro Sean had both BB and LIB in first US editions and both were stereo (blue labels). So you're saying those two were only released in mono in the UK on Decca?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh yeah, I've got the singles mono box, and you haven't rocked until you've heard that single mix of Street Fighting Man (extra backing vox all the way through and extra electric guitar parts).

The US London albums in mono were red labels. But my bro Sean had both BB and LIB in first US editions and both were stereo (blue labels). So you're saying those two were only released in mono in the UK on Decca?
In the UK I belive that they were released in mono & stereo versions and in the US stereo only. Also the 2002, ABKCO Records reissued Beggars Banquet now runs at the correct speed makinf the run time of the album 30 seconds approx shorter as there was a mastering flaw on the original copies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Marky Dread wrote:
Got mines this morning ...That mono mix is something else, Pretty amazing so good I played it twice in a row and that was just the LP not tried the CD yet
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Got mines this morning ...That mono mix is something else, Pretty amazing so good I played it twice in a row and that was just the LP not tried the CD yet
Yep it's a great mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Just to revive this thread, the Ramones 40th anniversary remixes, remasters reissues continue to be a source of immense pleasure. Road to Ruin is just fantastic, Leave Home remix and Rocket to Russia rough mixes are incredible. I can not wait until next year when they de-Spectorize End of the Century.

If you haven't checked them all out I highly recommend them

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

coffeepotman wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 9:37am
Just to revive this thread, the Ramones 40th anniversary remixes, remasters reissues continue to be a source of immense pleasure. Road to Ruin is just fantastic, Leave Home remix and Rocket to Russia rough mixes are incredible. I can not wait until next year when they de-Spectorize End of the Century.

Hello,

Agreed in spades!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

coffeepotman wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 9:37am

Ordering RTR 40th DE. Have the others. Was hoping they won't do EOTC 40th, but would be interesting to hear what Ed Stasium does w/ it.
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 03 Oct 2018, 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

You know EOTC is something unique, listening to it with the headphones there is so much going on, but the demo of rock and Roll Radio is also pretty good and the Stasium mix of RNR High School is excellent so I would love a de-Spectoring of EOTC and also the rough mixes, not to replace but as a compliment to the original.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Am I in the minority because I have no interest in hearing EOTC de-Specterized?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:02am
Am I in the minority because I have no interest in hearing EOTC de-Specterized?
I'm in the same camp...so there is at least 2 of us! :)

It's an album that has grown on me over the years.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble