Swindle Remixed

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Swindle Remixed

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yo, Marky! Do you know who sings on the fake Pistols song "Revolution in the Classroom"? The damned thing popped in my head and made me curious. Couldn't find an answer with a quick googling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 9:23pm
Yo, Marky! Do you know who sings on the fake Pistols song "Revolution in the Classroom"? The damned thing popped in my head and made me curious. Couldn't find an answer with a quick googling.
Shit. I used to know that...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 9:23pm
Yes it's Tony Barber. He was originaly in a band called "Lack of Knowledge" then he joined the Buzzcocks on bass. Ironically the last time I saw Tony he was setting up the stage for a PiL gig for the This Is PiL tour.
You may remember me telling you before about the "Deny" album by the Ex Pistols that was promotional only (600 copies) and was placed in the racks of Virgin records with a sticker saying steal this record.

Personnel on Ex Pistols recordings were :

Dave Slave - vocals
Alan Lee (Shaw) - guitar, vocals (The Rings/Maniacs/The Physicals (with Paul Cook) Brian James/The Damned)
Dave Goodman - bass guitar, vocals/Producer - R.I.P. '05
Bryson Graham - drums (George Harrison/Spooky Tooth/The Electric Chairs) - R.I.P. '93
Del Bartle - guitar (Sid Presley Experience/Unholy Trinity/The Godfathers))
Andy Boreman - drums (The Users)
Dave MacIntosh - drums - (Doll By Doll/C.B.I. Concrete Bulletproof Invisible with Matlock) Matlock with Doll By Doll minus singer Jackie Leven are the band on the Sid & Nancy soundtrack.
Kevin Murphy - drums (Sid Presley Experience/Unholy Trinity)
Dave Rose - keyboards

Sex Pistols lawsuit :

While Glen Matlock played on two songs from the Deny LP and co-wrote "Happy Families", John Lydon was not so forthcoming. After winning the rights to the Sex Pistols music and documentation from Malcolm McLaren and Glitterbest, he was outraged by Dave Goodman using the band's name and image to promote "inferior recordings" to cash in on their name and tarnish the Sex Pistols' reputation, and for using their photographs and likenesses on the Ex Pistols' records without permission. This includes the "Land Of Hope And Glory" 7" single (which has the Sex Pistols' figures on the disc, albeit with their faces crossed out), the "Revolution In The Classroom" single and The Swindle Continues. The image on the sleeve of the Deny LP is not actually John, rather Ex Pistols associate Tony Barber (of the Buzzcocks), who resembles John Lydon.

After a lawsuit ensued, Dave Goodman was banned from producing any more records made to look or sound like Sex Pistols recordings. The Ex Pistols next album, Denial Of A Good Man, was put on indefinite hold and the band changed their name to Dave Goodman & Friends. After that they re-released one more single entitled "Justifiable Homicide" (originally released in August 1978 (Steve & Paul play on this).

So the irony being John takes out an injunction against Goodman for using the Pistols images/sound on fake recordings which at times were passed off as being the real deal when in fact Steve/Paul/Glen had actually played on some of them.

Hence all those grey market releases in the 80's. Now I don't know this as fact but for all the Goodman releases there were twice as many Jock McDonald (4 Be 2's/Bollock Brothers) releases and at the time Jock was very friendly with John and John's brother Jimmy was in the 4 Be 2's and the early BB's so I think it was tit-for-tat.

John/Jock/Nora at John's flat Chelsea '78

Youth (Martin Glover) [Killing Joke] also played with the 4 Be 2's for a while.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wow, thanks for all that, M. While I knew the Ex-Pistols was Dave Goodman hijinx, I thought Steve and Paul were willing participants in it all (I guess I assumed that "Justifiable Homicide" meant that they were involved in all those recordings). What a hilarious, twisted bunch of nonsense. I was 17 or 18 when We Have Cum For Your Children came out and my jaw dropped when I saw this super rare mystery song was on it—"Revolution in the Classroom"—and paid the import price without a second thought. They knew their market was dumb kids like me. :smile:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 6:26am
Wow, thanks for all that, M. While I knew the Ex-Pistols was Dave Goodman hijinx, I thought Steve and Paul were willing participants in it all (I guess I assumed that "Justifiable Homicide" meant that they were involved in all those recordings). What a hilarious, twisted bunch of nonsense. I was 17 or 18 when We Have Cum For Your Children[/i] came out and my jaw dropped when I saw this super rare mystery song was on it—"Revolution in the Classroom"—and paid the import price without a second thought. They knew their market was dumb kids like me. :smile:

I bought that the instant it was released but I knew just like the "Land of Hope and Glory" single it wasn't John singing however I was hoping it contained the other band members. Yep it seems like Steve/Paul/Glen didn't really give a fuck about John at this point at least until they Steve/Paul took his side in the court case and I bet that was purely financial.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wow, thanks for all that, M. While I knew the Ex-Pistols was Dave Goodman hijinx, I thought Steve and Paul were willing participants in it all (I guess I assumed that "Justifiable Homicide" meant that they were involved in all those recordings). What a hilarious, twisted bunch of nonsense. I was 17 or 18 when We Have Cum For Your Children came out and my jaw dropped when I saw this super rare mystery song was on it—"Revolution in the Classroom"—and paid the import price without a second thought. They knew their market was dumb kids like me. :smile:
I bought that the instant it was released but I knew just like the "Land of Hope and Glory" single it wasn't John singing however I was hoping it contained the other band members. Yep it seems like Steve/Paul/Glen didn't really give a fuck about John at this point at least until they Steve/Paul took his side in the court case and I bet that was purely financial.
It's funny that of all the shoddy Pistols albums I've bought, I've never felt cheated. Maybe it's that they have a permanent exemption from that kind of annoyance because they changed my life or it's all part of the swindle joke. But I've bought so many bullshit compilations with fake outs and never regretted a single one.

edit: Like this one:

Back in high school I also had a shirt with this sleeve. Totally dug it, wore it until it was rags. If I had a high-quality scan of that album, maybe I could have a print-on-demand shirt made, but otherwise I know I'll never find it again.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's funny that of all the shoddy Pistols albums I've bought, I've never felt cheated. Maybe it's that they have a permanent exemption from that kind of annoyance because they changed my life or it's all part of the swindle joke. But I've bought so many bullshit compilations with fake outs and never regretted a single one.
The majority had one or two gems on them. That said I had all of them at one point and if they had released an album of The Andrews Sisters but put Sex Pistols on the cover I'd have bought the bloody thing.

If you want an upload of the "Deny" album let me know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:59am
The majority had one or two gems on them. That said I had all of them at one point and if they had released an album of The Andrews Sisters but put Sex Pistols on the cover I'd have bought the bloody thing.
Ha! Yes, exactly. As a semi-related tangent to that, in Canada there had been a pressing fuck-up that led to the Sid and Nancy soundtrack put in a Lawrence Welk sleeve, leading to complaints from old folks. The first time I bought Unknown Pleasures, there was a K-Tel disco compilation inside. Worse, I couldn't get my money back because I bought it on vacation and didn't find out till I got home.
I think I have all or most of those songs spread across various boots, but if it's no trouble, sure, I'd love a copy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 8:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:59am
Ha! Yes, exactly. As a semi-related tangent to that, in Canada there had been a pressing fuck-up that led to the Sid and Nancy soundtrack put in a Lawrence Welk sleeve, leading to complaints from old folks. The first time I bought Unknown Pleasures, there was a K-Tel disco compilation inside. Worse, I couldn't get my money back because I bought it on vacation and didn't find out till I got home.
I think I have all or most of those songs spread across various boots, but if it's no trouble, sure, I'd love a copy.
No probs while I'm sorting out all the tracks enjoy this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I think One of the Boys is great.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 9:34am
?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:43am
Silent Majority wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 9:34am

Lads... but yeah it's great fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

As promised here you go!

There are 22 tracks as I added a bonus B-side "The Flowers of Romansk" plus the promo video I posted up earlier is in the file. I believe I have compiled everything they released. I knocked up the artwork about 10 mins ago. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

https://mega.nz/#!v5kiXQhB!QJoKjchZ0wz7 ... oJtBOtrd2c
Attachments
The Ex Pistols - Deny [1].jpg
The Ex Pistols - Deny [1].jpg (690.24 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
The EX Pistols - Deny [2].jpg
The EX Pistols - Deny [2].jpg (528.69 KiB) Viewed 3789 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, man! "The record they tried to ban"—*snort*. Pretty seditious stuff, indeed. :smile:

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky, you're a treasure trove of knowledge! This info is amazing. I too bought all the sketchy 80's releases and thought they were worth it. Wish I still had them. I knew Revolution in the Classroom/Schools are Prisons was a fraud but still liked it, it would have fit on Swindle. I used to think that maybe the Bollocks Brothers 77,78,79 was actually was the Sex Pistols or at least Steve and Paul. This comp is amazing, thank you for putting it together and passing it along. I will be listening to this all day this Sunday.