Old but 'Fit' Acts

General music discussion.
Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: Old but 'Fit' Acts

Post by Spiff »

Oh, and the Buzzcocks are still great live.

Here's a video I took of them playing Orgasm Addict when they came to Minneapolis 6 years ago:

Spiff
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: I'm sticking by my opinion because Sorum's drumming is so distinct from Adler's on those records, to the detriment of their overall band sound.
He was definitely a huge nail in the coffin.

Side note: how is Adler even still alive?
I guess you and I are less disagreeable today.

I'm not sure he's clean now. He was doing all those sobriety shows not too long ago, so I don't know. Duff has pancreatitis so he kinda has to be sober. I think Slash is as well. Crazy how pretty much everyone from that band bottomed out and is largely militantly sober.

BTW, here's a good comparison of the two drummers. The energy on Adler performance is way more elevated than Sorum.
I think on this issue, I phrased it badly yesterday. I meant to say that he was a part of it, but there were a whole constellation of reasons GnR was sucking so badly* by that point.

*Just to preempt some of you, I know that many of you think they always sucked, but Appetite is light years ahead of their contemporaries in the LA scene.
Absolutely. Illusion still would have sucked if he played on more than Civil War. Izzy and Duff's tunes would have been elevated a bit, but it still would have the absurd pompousness from Axl's ego.
Remember when Axl got all petulant with journalists and wrote the emptiest threat song in the history of music? God, that was terrible.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote: BTW, here's a good comparison of the two drummers. The energy on Adler performance is way more elevated than Sorum.
Holy shit, it's like a different band. Sorum is the worst offender, but basically every one of them looks like they're phoning it it. I barely made it through the Sorum version. What a snooze.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: He was definitely a huge nail in the coffin.

Side note: how is Adler even still alive?
I guess you and I are less disagreeable today.

I'm not sure he's clean now. He was doing all those sobriety shows not too long ago, so I don't know. Duff has pancreatitis so he kinda has to be sober. I think Slash is as well. Crazy how pretty much everyone from that band bottomed out and is largely militantly sober.

BTW, here's a good comparison of the two drummers. The energy on Adler performance is way more elevated than Sorum.
I think on this issue, I phrased it badly yesterday. I meant to say that he was a part of it, but there were a whole constellation of reasons GnR was sucking so badly* by that point.

*Just to preempt some of you, I know that many of you think they always sucked, but Appetite is light years ahead of their contemporaries in the LA scene.
Absolutely. Illusion still would have sucked if he played on more than Civil War. Izzy and Duff's tunes would have been elevated a bit, but it still would have the absurd pompousness from Axl's ego.
Remember when Axl got all petulant with journalists and wrote the emptiest threat song in the history of music? God, that was terrible.
Slash came up with an awesome intro lick on that song though. But yeah, "Get in the Ring" is fucking terrible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Saw The Specials on their reunion tour a few years back. Apart from Terry looking like a tired real estate agent they looked and sounded as good as ever. But then again Terry was never a great mover.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: I guess you and I are less disagreeable today.

Slash came up with an awesome intro lick on that song though. But yeah, "Get in the Ring" is fucking terrible.
Oh and then there's the Axl-solo "My World," which is the biggest failure at being avant-garde that I've ever heard. Holy shit was he indulged in the making of that album.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: BTW, here's a good comparison of the two drummers. The energy on Adler performance is way more elevated than Sorum.
Holy shit, it's like a different band. Sorum is the worst offender, but basically every one of them looks like they're phoning it it. I barely made it through the Sorum version. What a snooze.
I was intrigued by this reunion, but didn't go to the show near me. My reasons were: no interest in a stadium show, Izzy and Adler aren't there. But the more I thought about, anything less than seeing them do a club show in 88 would be a disappointment and until I build my time machine, that's just not going to happen.

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I was intrigued by this reunion, but didn't go to the show near me. My reasons were: no interest in a stadium show, Izzy and Adler aren't there. But the more I thought about, anything less than seeing them do a club show in 88 would be a disappointment and until I build my time machine, that's just not going to happen.

Yeah, that's a band that isn't ever going to catch that lightning ever again. And as much as I love Duff, a GnR without Izzy and Adler isn't GnR.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This thread title keeps sending me back to this:

And, perhaps, MES does qualify for this thread, in spite of looking like he's ready for a hospice.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:This thread title keeps sending me back to this:

And, perhaps, MES does qualify for this thread, in spite of looking like he's ready for a hospice.
He's looked like that for at least two decades now.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, that's a band that isn't ever going to catch that lightning ever again. And as much as I love Duff, a GnR without Izzy and Adler isn't GnR.
Even if Izzy and Adler were back (which would be awesome), they still don't have that fire in the belly they had early on from their gutter living. I guess that's kind of the point of this thread.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

I'm proud to say that the only thing I know about Guns 'n' Roses is that there's a guy in it named Axel.

Although, I'm not even sure about that. Maybe he's a former member.

Wait, I think I also know (I think) that Tommy Stinson (of The Replacements) plays bass for them now.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Even if Izzy and Adler were back (which would be awesome), they still don't have that fire in the belly they had early on from their gutter living. I guess that's kind of the point of this thread.
I'm pretty sure three-course breakfasts doused in hot sauce keeps the fire consistently in Axl's belly.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
I'm pretty sure three-course breakfasts doused in hot sauce keeps the fire consistently in Axl's belly.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last month my home town.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.