Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Old but 'Fit' Acts

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:I always thought John Maher was pretty essential.
Drummers never matter. :shifty:
Well, maybe more than bass players.
Plenty of good bands were worse when the original bass player left (e.g., PiL, Gang of Four), but I can't think of a single band that was crippled by losing a drummer (Zep never tried, the Who's problems were not Kenny Jones).
What about the Clash?
I suspect Mick's ousting was a far more significant blow. All speculation, of course, but if the band continued on with Pete replacing Topper, things might have been fine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Well, maybe more than bass players.
It's a competitive race to the bottom!
It's clear you're not a Rush fan.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
He's Canadian, so clearly he has to be by law.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
The Hell I am.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
The Hell I am.
Oh shit. I'm sorry. I somehow thought the Doc said that. Replace Canadian with "huge nerd."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
The Hell I am.
Oh shit. I'm sorry. I somehow thought the Doc said that. Replace Canadian with "huge nerd."
Ha ha, someone thought Flex was me. Loser.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: Ha! Their guitar player, Danny Sage, is my niece Maria's long term boyfriend. Apparently Joe Strummer was a big fan.
I met Danny in a phone booth in '97 after their show in Seattle. Helluva nice guy. The new album is decent. I'm glad it wasn't one of those phoned in reunion affairs.
Oh really??? I'll make sure to tell Maria! :lol:

And for all you D Gen fans who are Bruuuce haters too: Danny's a big Springsteen fan (bootlegs and all) and Bruce is a big D Gen fan (has played with Jesse Malin many times). So there.

He was in the phone booth, I was passing by. Maybe he was calling Maria?
Maybe he was calling Maria a stupid midwestern dope :mrgreen: :naughty:
Well, they kicked major ass last night. Richie Bacchus bought me a beer before the show, and I talked to him, Jesse, and Danny a bit afterward. All super nice dudes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Plenty of good bands were worse when the original bass player left (e.g., PiL, Gang of Four), but I can't think of a single band that was crippled by losing a drummer (Zep never tried, the Who's problems were not Kenny Jones).
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?
"Plenty of good bands." Sorry.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?

I'm no expert on KISS but I don't believe their bass player ever left. Sounds like a worthy experiment though.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?
I'm no expert on KISS but I don't believe their bass player ever left. Sounds like a worthy experiment though.
Er....if you read further down the quote it's referring to drummers. Maj is alluding to Topper leaving.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Plenty of good bands were worse when the original bass player left (e.g., PiL, Gang of Four), but I can't think of a single band that was crippled by losing a drummer (Zep never tried, the Who's problems were not Kenny Jones).
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?
Er....if you read further down the quote it's referring to drummers. Maj is alluding to Topper leaving.
Agains, as the Doc pointed out, this point is moot, because we're talking about good bands. Not KISS.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
What about the Clash?
There was a lot going on with GnR, but there sound and feel got way lamer when Adler got the boot and Matt Sorum took over. Probably Smashing Pumpkins if I liked them enough to listen to any post Jimmy Chamberlain material.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:There was a lot going on with GnR, but there sound and feel got way lamer when Adler got the boot and Matt Sorum took over.
Yeah, I have to think that's largely unrelated, in that they were getting terrible for so many reasons starting before he left.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Plenty of good bands were worse when the original bass player left (e.g., PiL, Gang of Four), but I can't think of a single band that was crippled by losing a drummer (Zep never tried, the Who's problems were not Kenny Jones).
What about the Clash?
What about KISS?
Yeah bass players were also mentioned and my policy is to never pass up an opportunity to point out the KISS sucks and more so because of that asshole on the bass.

And should not be interpreted as a slight against you in any way.