WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Kinks song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 8:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 2:39pm
Super deluxe of their best album out soon.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... eluxe-box/
This isn’t Schoolboys In Disgrace! :shifty:

No but really the song I’m thinking of is Tired Of Waiting because it just came on at the store.
I'm still waiting for the Super Deluxe version of The Kinks Present a Soap Opera!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 9:34am
Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 4:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:

This looks tasty.
I saw this earlier and agree - looks tasty - but then again I was thinking how many copies of Village Green do I need? I have the 3 disc set from maybe 2004.
Yep that was my thoughts also. But I expect I'll tell myself that I don't need it and buy it anyway. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 9:34am
Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 4:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:

This looks tasty.
I saw this earlier and agree - looks tasty - but then again I was thinking how many copies of Village Green do I need? I have the 3 disc set from maybe 2004.
I bought that set and one of the songs on the last disc (Johnny Thunder) had been cleaned up and brilliantly enhanced in some way. It was marked "stereo remix" on the cover. It stood out sound-wise above everything else on the collection, but there was something in the sleeve notes about it being an expensive business and this was the only track they could give this treatment to. What I was hoping is that the songs marked "2018 stereo remaster" on this new set have a comparable sound but I'm not sure they will as they would probably be marked "stereo remix." I will probably wait for the reviews to come in before splashing out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thinking about the new Village Green set got me thinking about 2 other Kinks questions...

I wish they would have continued on with their deluxe edition releases. Everybody's in Show Biz was the last one. I would have at least liked to have seen deluxe editions of the Preservation albums. Now sure I'd need Soap Opera or Schoolboys...but who knows...maybe some lost gems could have been discovered.

Secondly - expectations for their new music? At the beginning of 2018 I would have put money on the fact that we would never get new Kinks material. Is there any magic left in the tank?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I liked Ray's Americana album. Getting Dave to play on songs like that would be cool.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 8:32am
I liked Ray's Americana album. Getting Dave to play on songs like that would be cool.
Reunion albums are always risky - but I have faith that Ray, Dave & Mick will put out something good.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 8:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
Reunion albums are always risky - but I have faith that Ray, Dave & Mick will put out something good.
Generally, reunion albums sound like another solo album by the most successful member with more tired playing than you'd get from the session players they'd usually have backing them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 1:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 8:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
Generally, reunion albums sound like another solo album by the most successful member with more tired playing than you'd get from the session players they'd usually have backing them.
This is sadly true.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
The first one is excellent - one of my fave releases from last year. Is the sequel record good? Have not heard it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to Lola versus Powerman right now. It's been awhile. Pretty solid record.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 8:39am
Listening to Lola versus Powerman right now. It's been awhile. Pretty solid record.
Some top stuff on that one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to the recently released 50th anniversary The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society set. Sounds really good. It's one of those albums that even though I've listened to it many, many times - I'm still blown away every single time I play it. There is just something so beautiful about it. There was a lot of good music released in 1968 (crazy enough - this LP was released the same day as The White Album)...but I'm pretty certain Village Green is my favorite of the lot.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:19pm
Listening to the recently released 50th anniversary The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society set. Sounds really good. It's one of those albums that even though I've listened to it many, many times - I'm still blown away every single time I play it. There is just something so beautiful about it. There was a lot of good music released in 1968 (crazy enough - this LP was released the same day as The White Album)...but I'm pretty certain Village Green is my favorite of the lot.
Yes, it's in my all time top 10 albums, great piece of work. Certainly better than the White Album. What I find amazing is that it never charted ANYWHERE in the world. That just beggars belief.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:51pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:19pm
Yes, it's in my all time top 10 albums, great piece of work. Certainly better than the White Album. What I find amazing is that it never charted ANYWHERE in the world. That just beggars belief.
According to Wikipedia...it received only ONE review in the UK. That is amazing. I wasn't around in 1968 and I see how the laid back feel of the LP was out of step with such an insane year - but still...

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Flex wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 3:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
The first one is excellent - one of my fave releases from last year. Is the sequel record good? Have not heard it.
i endorse it. fun + quality songs on there: bringing up baby, a street called hope, the big guy. and some nice takes on self-covers. ray seems to be in a nice creative place.