RIP Prince

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: RIP Prince

Post by matedog »

He's not on Spotify, so I'm having trouble trying to get into his deeper catalog. As admirable as his artistic control was in many ways, it was very frustrating and seemingly backward thinking in many other ways.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:He's not on Spotify, so I'm having trouble trying to get into his deeper catalog. As admirable as his artistic control was in many ways, it was very frustrating and seemingly backward thinking in many other ways.
I don't think so. He thought he should get paid for his work and gave the finger to anyone who wanted to squeeze off of him. I respect that.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

gkbill wrote:the best Super Bowl halftime performance.
I agree with that for sure
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:These are what Prince bought on Record Store Day, at the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

2) Chambers Brothers, "The Time Has Come"

5) Missing Persons, "The Best Of Missing Persons"
Nice, some faves of mine.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:These are what Prince bought on Record Store Day, at the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

1) Stevie Wonder, "Talking Book"

3) Joni Mitchell, "Hejira"

4) Swan Silvertones, "Inspirational Gospel Classics"

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

All pretty great but I must wonder why he didn't already own them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Marky Dread wrote:

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

Maybe they were record company re-packages of the originals ... and Prince was just as much of a sucker as we are about those things.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spiff wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

Maybe they were record company re-packages of the originals ... and Prince was just as much of a sucker as we are about those things.
Yeah my guess too mate. I've no doubt Prince was a big music fan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Paul Westerberg talks about Prince's death.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:Paul Westerberg talks about Prince's death.
Obviously choked up but a respectful and decent answer to a tough question. I really liked Paul's comment about "Beethoven and the chambermaid".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing that. Prince and the Replacements should be appreciated for representing a city often referred to as fly-over country. As different as the two were, both recognized each others contributions to the locale. Both can be proud. I sound like an old guy (and I am) but the 80's were good with concepts like that.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

A story about one of the times I worked for Prince, circa 1996.

I was working a Prince gig at his Paisley Park studio in 1996 for an album release party for his 'Emancipation' 3CD set. The show was (supposedly) the first ever live Internet streamed concert. The call time for the load out was midnight (I was a Local 13 IATSE stagehand); I get there and we're all standing around waiting for our cues, but the man wouldn't stop playing! Finally he does. (we were all told to never look at him directly in the eye; so just as I'm saying these words to my buddy: "...yeah, and a bunch of expensive hands hanging around getting paid to hear him rock out, not bad!...", the little dude walks literally right in front of me and wouldn't you know it - he was looking RIGHT AT ME! Smiling too! My buddy says "Well, that's it for you, pal. You'll never push a broom in this town again.").

Anyway, he went back onstage and played for another hour or so, doing long extended jams and lots of improv. It was incredible (and I was getting paid!!!)

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for sharing that. Prince and the Replacements should be appreciated for representing a city often referred to as fly-over country. As different as the two were, both recognized each others contributions to the locale. Both can be proud. I sound like an old guy (and I am) but the 80's were good with concepts like that.
Right on, Bill. I too am an old guy (52) from south Minneapolis and was buying those guys' albums in real time and seeing their gigs. (first saw Prince in '82 on the '1999' tour at the old Met Stadium with the Time and Vanity 6 opening. Amazing show; no one had ever seen anything like it: dudes humping a bed with his shadow back-lit against the stage wall. Complete chaos on the dance floor!).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:A story about one of the times I worked for Prince, circa 1996.

I was working a Prince gig at his Paisley Park studio in 1996 for an album release party for his 'Emancipation' 3CD set. The show was (supposedly) the first ever live Internet streamed concert. The call time for the load out was midnight (I was a Local 13 IATSE stagehand); I get there and we're all standing around waiting for our cues, but the man wouldn't stop playing! Finally he does. (we were all told to never look at him directly in the eye; so just as I'm saying these words to my buddy: "...yeah, and a bunch of expensive hands hanging around getting paid to hear him rock out, not bad!...", the little dude walks literally right in front of me and wouldn't you know it - he was looking RIGHT AT ME! Smiling too! My buddy says "Well, that's it for you, pal. You'll never push a broom in this town again.").

Anyway, he went back onstage and played for another hour or so, doing long extended jams and lots of improv. It was incredible (and I was getting paid!!!)
Nice! By the way how much did you get for your old broom?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:A story about one of the times I worked for Prince, circa 1996.

Nice! By the way how much did you get for your old broom?
Pffft... :rolleyes: So the next time I worked out at Paisley it was a short call - set up an extra rehearsal space in the main loading dock (complete with basketball hoops); my $85 check wouldn't clear at the bank (his bank). I was so pissed off (two of my brothers had had this problem on their checks as well, and this is AFTER we had to send the checks back originally because they were un fucking signed!); I had a plan: there was a Minneapolis cop working security at the old Norwest bank; I was going to refuse to leave until I was paid, and get removed or arrested, and then contact all the local media and tell them how Prince could'nt pay his employee $85!

Fortunately the bank manager took the funds out of a different account of Prince's. But boy was I steamed!...