The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk

Re: The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman » 03 May 2018, 9:01am

Lazarus! Went to see the pro shot video of the play accompanied by the live band, it was amazing theatre! Hopefully it will get some kind of release. The band was hot and Lazarus the song would have been a monster if Bowie were still with us and able to play it live.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 03 May 2018, 5:36pm

coffeepotman wrote:
03 May 2018, 9:01am
Lazarus! Went to see the pro shot video of the play accompanied by the live band, it was amazing theatre! Hopefully it will get some kind of release. The band was hot and Lazarus the song would have been a monster if Bowie were still with us and able to play it live.
:cool:
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

WestwayKid
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by WestwayKid » 31 Jul 2018, 10:44am

Just curious, anyone picked up those recently released Bowie box sets? They appear to cover his career a few years at a time: remastered albums, live recordings, and rare cuts (though most have already been released).

They're pricey - about $130 a pop on Amazon and I already own everything - some albums in multiple formats. I have the 1990 Ryko version of Diamond Dogs and the 2004 2CD version.

I really have no intention of picking up any of these sets, but I've been going through a recent Bowie revival and listening to him a lot and I'm curious about them because they look interesting.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 31 Jul 2018, 3:03pm

Eatched a doco about Ronson recently. Although most of it was about Bowie still a good doco. He was seriously ripped off and died broke.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 31 Jul 2018, 4:41pm

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:44am
Just curious, anyone picked up those recently released Bowie box sets? They appear to cover his career a few years at a time: remastered albums, live recordings, and rare cuts (though most have already been released).

They're pricey - about $130 a pop on Amazon and I already own everything - some albums in multiple formats. I have the 1990 Ryko version of Diamond Dogs and the 2004 2CD version.

I really have no intention of picking up any of these sets, but I've been going through a recent Bowie revival and listening to him a lot and I'm curious about them because they look interesting.
I'm not bothering. The most interesting thing to me was the Gouster released on the second box, but I have the '99 masters and those are perfectly fine.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 31 Jul 2018, 4:56pm

WestwayKid wrote:

I have the first two and they are great in my opinion. Maybe get the 3rd one and I see the 4th with Let's Dance etc is about to get released but that one has very little I care for and will be a lot of live shows.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 31 Jul 2018, 5:27pm

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 4:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I have the first two and they are great in my opinion. Maybe get the 3rd one and I see the 4th with Let's Dance etc is about to get released but that one has very little I care for and will be a lot of live shows.
I’m very curious about the Never Let Me Down re-record (it’s not quite Cut the Crap being redone with Joe’s vocals, but it is a botched album that could be better), but I’m currently torrent-curious, not spend-money-curious.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by WestwayKid » 01 Aug 2018, 10:44am

Wolter wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 4:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I’m very curious about the Never Let Me Down re-record (it’s not quite Cut the Crap being redone with Joe’s vocals, but it is a botched album that could be better), but I’m currently torrent-curious, not spend-money-curious.
I wasn't aware of the NLMD re-record until I read this. I'm very intrigued...but yeah, not spend-money-curious at this point.

WestwayKid
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by WestwayKid » 01 Aug 2018, 11:22am

Just listened to the 2018 version of Zeroes and it is (in my opinion) a big improvement on the original. They seem to have kept the distinctive elements of the song (especially Peter Frampton's sitar) - but reworked much of the song. I think it sounds better and I definitely want to get my hands on the new version of the album.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 01 Aug 2018, 5:04pm

I will say this: I love that they realized there’s not much on Tonight worth trying to save (the only two songs on it that don’t irredeemably suck don’t need fixing). NLMD is at least salvageable.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by WestwayKid » 02 Aug 2018, 7:57am

I picked up the second set from the library (don't actually have it, yet - but it is being transferred to my local branch for me). Curious to check it out. They also have the third set, but oddly not the first.

I can't imagine the sound is that much better than what has come before - but I still want to listen and look at the packaging.

Totally agree on Tonight. It is what it is. After hearing the remake of Zeroes - I have high hopes for the rest of the album. There are some good lyrics and sounds buried within.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Aug 2018, 6:43pm

I adore this track.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista » 22 Aug 2018, 7:07pm

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach