Ghost Box Music

General music discussion.
eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Re: Ghost Box Music

Post by eumaas » 02 Dec 2015, 1:00am

Have y'all checked out Pye Corner Audio's LP on Ghost Box yet? Sort of a bridge between the Ghost Box house style and something more Goblin- and John Carpenter-influenced. It doesn't have as much of the folk/medieval element you find in Belbury Poly or the Advisory Circle, but it's still wonderfully evocative.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 02 Dec 2015, 1:22am

Sleep Games also reminds me a bit of very early Autechre.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 02 Dec 2015, 1:43am

eumaas wrote:Have y'all checked out Pye Corner Audio's LP on Ghost Box yet? Sort of a bridge between the Ghost Box house style and something more Goblin- and John Carpenter-influenced. It doesn't have as much of the folk/medieval element you find in Belbury Poly or the Advisory Circle, but it's still wonderfully evocative.
Sounds like something for me to throw on while I'm working tomorrow.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Dec 2015, 6:37am

Dr. Medulla wrote:I have decided that Heston, Marky, and Wally all grew up in this town and nothing will ever dissuade me of this, nor of the scars they must carry from the experience.
That looks positively sane by comparison to the evil 70's stuff I endured.

The fucking wallpaper alone was enough to give me nightmares. I felt like I was the small boy on the tricycle from the Shining.

To think I was saved by these scruffy herberts still amazes me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Dec 2015, 8:25am

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I have decided that Heston, Marky, and Wally all grew up in this town and nothing will ever dissuade me of this, nor of the scars they must carry from the experience.
That looks positively sane by comparison to the evil 70's stuff I endured.

The fucking wallpaper alone was enough to give me nightmares. I felt like I was the small boy on the tricycle from the Shining.

To think I was saved by these scruffy herberts still amazes me.
In all honesty, the post-psychedelic effect on 70s decor weirds me the fuck out. Drab yet hallucinatory—like an intentional bad trip.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Dec 2015, 8:25am

eumaas wrote:Have y'all checked out Pye Corner Audio's LP on Ghost Box yet? Sort of a bridge between the Ghost Box house style and something more Goblin- and John Carpenter-influenced. It doesn't have as much of the folk/medieval element you find in Belbury Poly or the Advisory Circle, but it's still wonderfully evocative.
I've located a couple albums and will likely give them a spin today.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Dec 2015, 2:46pm

eumaas wrote:Sleep Games also reminds me a bit of very early Autechre.
It's much more melodic than the other Ghost Box stuff I've heard. Conventional isn't a proper word to use, but it fits into ambient, even ambient pop, more easily than other stuff on the label. Which isn't a criticism at all. It's really quite good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jun 2017, 11:11am

Hey Gene, there are Scarfolk shirts available now. I had to order this one as it captures so much about me: https://darkbunnytees.com/product/scarfolk-no/

(I've long loved, and taken to heart, the title of George Grosz' memoir, A Little Yes and a Big No. If I need a personal slogan, it's that.)

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 12 Jun 2017, 1:33pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 11:11am
Hey Gene, there are Scarfolk shirts available now. I had to order this one as it captures so much about me: https://darkbunnytees.com/product/scarfolk-no/

(I've long loved, and taken to heart, the title of George Grosz' memoir, A Little Yes and a Big No. If I need a personal slogan, it's that.)
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up