Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 4:26pm
Wolter wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 4:23pm
Oh, my 2¢ on "Do It Again": catchy, slight, fun but a harbinger of the Mike Love nostalgia takeover that took its first full flower in 15 Big Ones and led directly to Kokomo and even worse tracks.
Just think if the band disbanded after Love You. One listenable nostalgia album and then a bizarre masterpiece and then finito. The Beach Boys legacy has been rehabilitated just fine over the years, but subtracting post-77 material would have done a lot to improve an argument that they were great from beginning to end.
Oh, definitely. "Well, things got a little dicey towards the end, but they bowed out before it became embarrassing with a left-field underrated gem."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Hey Flex, does Mike Love play sax on any tracks other than Shut Down (and SD pt. 2)?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think maybe he played sax on Let's Go Trippin' on the Concert LP. There are some boots of live shows from that era with him playing a little, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

This, by the way, completely rules:

Brilliant stereo mix of underrated gem Wild Honey, crucial alternate cuts and session higlights, and tons of live material, including Le'd in Hawaii material. Makes a strong case for this era of the band being a creative gem in the studio and, yes, even live. I can see why the live stuff wasn't released at the time, but some decades on, their stoned grooves come off as appropriate to the milieu of '67 and the studio work is energetic grand.

It's insane to me that Mike Love can oversee wonderful quality archival product like this and still put out dreck like the new version of Do It Again.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 1:08pm
This, by the way, completely rules:

Brilliant stereo mix of underrated gem Wild Honey, crucial alternate cuts and session higlights, and tons of live material, including Le'd in Hawaii material. Makes a strong case for this era of the band being a creative gem in the studio and, yes, even live. I can see why the live stuff wasn't released at the time, but some decades on, their stoned grooves come off as appropriate to the milieu of '67 and the studio work is energetic grand.

It's insane to me that Mike Love can oversee wonderful quality archival product like this and still put out dreck like the new version of Do It Again.
A few of the live cuts have popped up on my Spotify. Very interesting and enjoyable takes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also, fuck Mike Love.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 9:51am
Also, fuck Mike Love.
Mike Love should be credited on Wikipedia as inventor of the 13-year-old white kid dance.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 9:51am
Also, fuck Mike Love.
Mike Love, the Original Boss-Tone.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I learned from a friend who is a serious BB fan (and, of course, Mike Love loather) that that July 4h "Do It Again" atrocity has been released as a single, but under the Mike Love name: https://www.discogs.com/Mike-Love-feat- ... e/10545143

(His wife, a later convert to the Beach Boys, was traumatized by that video.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Mike Love is so horrible.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Even his fan club puts out crappy product: http://www.cafepress.com/mlfcgotlove

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I finally finished reading that lousy book Anti-Rock, whose only real virtue is letting me know that there is an actual good study to be done on the topic. But in the final chapter, on the Parents Music Resource Center, the infamous 1980s censorship group led by, among others, Tipper Gore, there is the statement that the PMRC got $5000 in seed money from … the Love Foundation. A quick check online has Billboard reporting the same thing. Such a dink.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 7:29pm
Even his fan club puts out crappy product: http://www.cafepress.com/mlfcgotlove
Matey want.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:55am
I finally finished reading that lousy book Anti-Rock, whose only real virtue is letting me know that there is an actual good study to be done on the topic. But in the final chapter, on the Parents Music Resource Center, the infamous 1980s censorship group led by, among others, Tipper Gore, there is the statement that the PMRC got $5000 in seed money from … the Love Foundation. A quick check online has Billboard reporting the same thing. Such a dink.
Of fucking course he did.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:55am
Wow. You know you are in the wrong when the opposition consists of Jello Biafra, Frank Zappa and....John Denver. If that ragtag crew can agree on something, it has to be worthwhile. Fuck Mike Love.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy