WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 1:23pm
Why is this a separate project?

Could have easily made any of the late 70s albums they made. Also lol:
"Michael Love is one of the most talented human beings I know and standing next to him is Brian Wilson." - Dick Clark.
I've never really understood the story behind Celebration, other than Mike just wanted to do his own thing.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 1:00pm
Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:23pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:15pm
So apparently "Here Comes the Night" isn't the only disco dabbling the group members did. Apparently Mike churned out three albums with a side project called "Celebration" in the late 70s. The last one is a disco album though it doesn't appear to have any Mike vocals on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=QRhSHo4hMVg
Congrats, Hoy. You've officially gone deeper down the Mike Love well than I have. I have never bothered digging into Celebration.
I'm waiting for WWK to make me feel less bad about myself by doing an in depth post about the Celebration albums.
I believe their first project was to provide songs for a movie called Almost Summer, which I think was a typical late 70's comedy. I've never thought much about the Disco Celebration LP, but it's gotten me curious because yeah, I don't think Mike is actually on it. He also recorded a pair of unreleased solo albums around this time, which is curious because the band was struggling to get material released that would satisfy their new contract, and he's off making all of this solo material.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 3:37pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
So apparently "Here Comes the Night" isn't the only disco dabbling the group members did. Apparently Mike churned out three albums with a side project called "Celebration" in the late 70s. The last one is a disco album though it doesn't appear to have any Mike vocals on it:
Congrats, Hoy. You've officially gone deeper down the Mike Love well than I have. I have never bothered digging into Celebration.
I'm waiting for WWK to make me feel less bad about myself by doing an in depth post about the Celebration albums.
I believe their first project was to provide songs for a movie called Almost Summer, which I think was a typical late 70's comedy. I've never thought much about the Disco Celebration LP, but it's gotten me curious because yeah, I don't think Mike is actually on it. He also recorded a pair of unreleased solo albums around this time, which is curious because the band was struggling to get material released that would satisfy their new contract, and he's off making all of this solo material.
It might be because those solo albums are worse than basically anything the beach boys were putting out around that time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 3:48pm
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
It might be because those solo albums are worse than basically anything the beach boys were putting out around that time.
Worse than this?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:04pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Worse than this?
Whenever I see BB album covers from … well, after the 60s, they just seem to scream CtC to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Worse than this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ACover.jpg
Decide for yourself:

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 3:30pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 1:23pm
Why is this a separate project?

Could have easily made any of the late 70s albums they made. Also lol:
"Michael Love is one of the most talented human beings I know and standing next to him is Brian Wilson." - Dick Clark.
I've never really understood the story behind Celebration, other than Mike just wanted to do his own thing.
Mike kinda goes over it during the interview segment around 4:50. Basically, Brian had to do a song for the movie you mentioned and they ended up doing a bunch of music together and due to recover company issues (Sounds like when they were going from Warner Bros to CBS), they released it as a separate project. Not sure how they got three albums out of it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:08pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

Worse than this?
Whenever I see BB album covers from … well, after the 60s, they just seem to scream CtC to me.
I'm working through the 1973 Holland album and holy hell is the cover dreary:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:09pm
matedog wrote:
Worse than this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ACover.jpg
Decide for yourself:
Well now I need to do a deep dive on Keepin the Summer Alive. On initial listen, it doesn't seem much different in quality.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Worse than this?
I'm working through the 1973 Holland album and holy hell is the cover dreary:
"Fun Fun Fun" is a long time ago is what the cover says.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Well, yeah, that's when they were trying to be a 70s rock band. Didn't take, but the music is quite good. Then they just kept leaning hard into the retro schlock.

For my money, the best beach boys album cover is Surf's Up.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:28pm

For my money, the best beach boys album cover is Surf's Up.
Ahem, the best Beach Boys album cover
<---------

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Holland is a solid LP in my opinion. Their last gasp as a working band before nostalgia kicked in.

Sail On, Sailor is a stone cold classic.
Steamboat is a very interesting offering from Dennis.
California Saga is fun. I do prefer the original version of Big Sur, but it's still a good song.

Trader has some corny Jack Rieley lyrics, but Carl's vocal is great, especially on the second part of the song.
Leaving this Town, ably sung by Blondie, doesn't sound at first glance like a Beach Boys song, but it's a solid song and when the harmonies kick in...
Only With You is a nice, understated song from Dennis.
Funky Pretty is great - it's weird, but not Love You weird and the ending is awesome!

It's then topped off with Brian's whimsical and weird and lovely Mt. Vernon and Fairway.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

Worse than this?
15 Big Ones is a terrible cover. Designed by Dean Torrance. He also did the Love You cover, which I'm also not wild about.

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:55pm
Holland is a solid LP in my opinion. Their last gasp as a working band before nostalgia kicked in.

Sail On, Sailor is a stone cold classic.
Steamboat is a very interesting offering from Dennis.
California Saga is fun. I do prefer the original version of Big Sur, but it's still a good song.

Trader has some corny Jack Rieley lyrics, but Carl's vocal is great, especially on the second part of the song.
Leaving this Town, ably sung by Blondie, doesn't sound at first glance like a Beach Boys song, but it's a solid song and when the harmonies kick in...
Only With You is a nice, understated song from Dennis.
Funky Pretty is great - it's weird, but not Love You weird and the ending is awesome!

It's then topped off with Brian's whimsical and weird and lovely Mt. Vernon and Fairway.
Agreed with all this. The second-to-last actually good record they ever made, I think (and Love You having such a weird birthing process, I think it's safe to call Holland the last, just, normal record from the band as a normally functioning group that was good without a ton of disclaimers). Maybe with TWGMTR Holland is their third-to-last good record.

Pex Lives!