Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 4:12pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 2:42pm
Yay! The new album! Mike's tossing albino pigeons from the rape van! Double-Yay!!

I still cannot get over how many times he put his own name on the cover.
It's "Kokomo" quality subliminal persuasion.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is so very, very sad. I can actually kind of dig Stamos. He's always seemed like a decent guy...but shame on Mike Love for whoring out this classic and turning it into a pile of you-know-what. When I view it - my imagination is flooded with all of the horrible things I want to happen to Mark McGrath? What the hell is with the "DO IT! DO IT! WOO! WOO!" backing vocal.

Just tripe. I hope nobody buys this piece of crap.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Here is another classic from the Mike Love catalog...

I think if I end up in hell - this song will be on an endless loop.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 4:12pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 2:42pm
Yay! The new album! Mike's tossing albino pigeons from the rape van! Double-Yay!!

I still cannot get over how many times he put his own name on the cover.
Honestly, it looks like he made his crappy record cover at Walgreen's. It's like one of those photo Christmas cards people send out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend just sent me this. I haven't watched it yet. It almost certainly reeks of blood and semen.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mike Love and special guests will play a set of new songs and Beach Boys classics in celebration of his new album, "Unleash The Love," at Amoeba Hollywood on Wednesday, December 6th at 6pm followed by CD signing! The concert is free and all-ages, but the album signing after is limited to fans who purchase "Unleash The Love" in-store only at Amoeba on Dec 6. Plus, purchasers will receive a limited edition "Mike Love - Live at Amoeba" poster commemorating the show!

To attend: Purchase "Unleash The Love" on December 6th in-store only at Amoeba Hollywood (DAY OF EVENT) to receive a limited-edition "Mike Love - Live at Amoeba" commemorative poster AND admission to the signing after the show.

- One CD + poster per person
- Mike will sign ONE additional item per person
- In-store purchases only (no online/phone orders). Space is limited.
- Performance is free/all ages, signing event is limited to purchasers of new CD only

Grammy® Winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Member, Michael Edward Love, grew up under the Southern California sun where he soaked up a life of music, surf, sand and sport. Beginning his singing career as a teenager, Mike along with his cousin, Brian Wilson, frequently sang at family get-togethers and holiday gatherings. These early influences served as the inspiration to form the legendary group, The Beach Boys, which originally consisted of Mike and his cousins, Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson along with neighbor David Marks and High School friend Alan Jardine. Throughout his career, Mike has co-authored more than a dozen Top 10 Singles, cementing The Beach Boys legacy, alongside The Beatles and Michael Jackson, as the only artists to have produced twelve Top 10 Singles, within 5 years.

The Beach Boys are led by Mike Love (lead vocals) and Bruce Johnston (keyboards and vocals), who along with musical director Scott Totten (lead guitar, vocals) Jeffrey Foskett (rhythm guitar, vocals), Brian Eichenburger (bass, vocals), Tim Bonhomme (keyboards), and John Cowsill (drums) continue the legacy of the iconic American band.
Get yer plane tix Flex & Friends
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Beach Boys are led by Mike Love (lead vocals) and Bruce Johnston (keyboards and vocals), who along with musical director Scott Totten (lead guitar, vocals) Jeffrey Foskett (rhythm guitar, vocals), Brian Eichenburger (bass, vocals), Tim Bonhomme (keyboards), and John Cowsill (drums) continue the legacy of the iconic American band.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Oh man, I hope someone on this board loves me enough to me a signed copy of Mike's new album.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still no reviews from the local rape van survivors?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 6:42pm
I feel ashamed, but I haven't actually listened to the album yet.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 1:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A friend of mine said that it isn't even awful enjoyable, it's just wrong.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mike Love: Hmmm, is that for sale?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 2:19pm
Flex wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 1:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A friend of mine said that it isn't even awful enjoyable, it's just wrong.
Some highlights from Amazon:

"Terrible. Just terrible. Listening to the title song is like listening to a bad Brady Bunch kids song from the 70's. And if it weren't for auto tuning, the rest of the songs would make your ears bleed. If you love real Beach Boys music, please don't even play the second CD. The re-recordings of the classic songs are sad to listen to. Do yourself a favor.......pass on this one. I didn't, but I got rid of it after one go around. Straight into the trash it went."

"Why did Mike Love record & release this malignancy? His feeble attempt to pay homage to Beach Boys songs has fallen as flat as his so-called voice. Love is a hack and a lucky spermer. Were he not a blood relative of Brian Wilson, he’d be a superannuated gas station attendant somewhere in the Antelope Valley.

After one listen, I left my copy of this hideous joke in a corner trash bin with a warning note: play at your own peril. No, let’s not get together and Do It Again, Mike. California Girls — run run run for your lives! Wouldn’t It Be Nice if this two CD farce disappears from pop culture as fast as Mark McGrath’s career? I Don’t Wanna Know who will enjoy this ill-conceived collection of cover songs, recycled failures from unreleased solo albums and warmed over peons to false nostalgia. Good Vibrations? Hahahaha!"

"Unleash The Vomit. This was given to me as a gift by a well-meaning friend. Disc 1 is truly awful. Disc 2 is just very bad. Donate the 10 bucks (or whatever it cost) to charity. "Artists Without Talent" comes to mind."

That truly sad thing is that there are way more reviews that are extremely positive. I am a huge BB fan. I don't "hate" Mike Love like some of my fellow fans do - but man - he just makes himself so very hard to like.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This review is pretty insane: "I LOVE this new album from the greatest BB. Mr Love is one of the greatest singer/songwriter/performers alive today and he needs more recognition for the contributions he has made to the world of music... and to the world. The 20th century musical scene would look VASTLY different without him. In a day and age where Americans worship death and destruction Mr Love constantly has spread the word of peace for all. Love for all. Hope for all. I will ALWAYS support people like him. There were MANY times where I felt like packing it in and all I had to do was take some medicine,,, Mr Love and his boyz singing ANYTHING.
His ability to shapeshift through the decades of changing musical tastes is extraordinary and this album is no different. The new songs are really cool. I'll need to listen to them a few more hundred times but on initial discovery the album is really good. There's a few gems here that belong in the BB world canon. I especially liked his daughter's vocals.
The second cd consisted of remixes which are always cool to hear. Old songs sung in new ways. Mr Love is an old man but he can still sing and he can still perform. If you are a BB fan you MUST listen to this and you MUST support this GREAT man."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 8:30am
Some highlights from Amazon:

"Why did Mike Love record & release this malignancy? His feeble attempt to pay homage to Beach Boys songs has fallen as flat as his so-called voice. Love is a hack and a lucky spermer. Were he not a blood relative of Brian Wilson, he’d be a superannuated gas station attendant somewhere in the Antelope Valley.
Like swallows and Capistrano, it all comes back to the rape van.