WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 11:58am
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 11:26am
Mike Peters was just awarded the MBE for the work he's done around cancer care. He's always seemed like a pretty decent guy so good for him.

What do you all think? Would Joe have ever been nominated (is that how it even works?) for something like the MBE and if so - would he have accepted?
I imagine he wouldn't have been nominated for the same reasons he wouldn't have accepted: a life's work of beautifully raising class consciousness. The establishment recognise their allies.
I'll drink to that!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:10pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 11:26am
Mike Peters was just awarded the MBE for the work he's done around cancer care. He's always seemed like a pretty decent guy so good for him.

What do you all think? Would Joe have ever been nominated (is that how it even works?) for something like the MBE and if so - would he have accepted?
Good for Mike a lovely guy.

Regards Joe: A very principled man who struggled with the notion of these things. I'm not sure what Joe would've been nominated for (Music I guess) and just like one of his heroes John Lennon he might've accepted it then handed it back in order to make his point. Although I doubt Joe would've waited two years before returning it and certainly not via his chauffeur.

Lennon's letter to her Majesty is kinda fun though.

Your Majesty,

I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts.

With love. John Lennon of Bag
His letter is pretty classic!

I think he later expressed regret that he included the part about Cold Turkey as it detracted from the statement he was trying to make.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 1:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 7:53pm
Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 7:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:31pm
Just read that one-time Cure drummer Andy Anderson has terminal cancer. Played drums on The Love Cats single and The Top LP.
I love The Top.
I like it when it's playing, but other than "The Caterpillar," I can never remember anything about it within, like, an hour.
"Shake Dog Shake" and "Give Me It" are boss tracks, and "Bananafishbones" is wonderfully weird.

The Top is a rough fit in the Cure catalog because it's basically a Smith solo project with Anderson the only other player on every track and Lol Tolhurst primarily assigned to buying booze and drugs for his and Smith's then-raging vices. But the psychedelic feel is very similar to the Banshees' Hyaena, so it's almost like a companion piece to that album.

Anderson was a real beast of a player. Brought big bottom to the sound, and struck great balance between playing it straight-ahead and being sly with the nuance. Concert is probably my favorite overall official release. As much as lightning-wristed Boris Williams is seen as 'the' Cure drummer, he could occasionally get a little cutesy. I think they rocked harder with Anderson.
The Cure have always been a really good live act. I've seen several lineups and I've never been disappointed. Lollapalooza in 2013 was especially epic - huge crowd - mist rolling in off of Lake Michigan. It was fantastic.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

Uh oh! Sounds like R. Kelly might be going down for some time!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:59pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:31pm
Just read that one-time Cure drummer Andy Anderson has terminal cancer. Played drums on The Love Cats single and The Top LP.
I love The Top.
I like it when it's playing, but other than "The Caterpillar," I can never remember anything about it within, like, an hour.
"Shake Dog Shake" and "Give Me It" are boss tracks, and "Bananafishbones" is wonderfully weird.

The Top is a rough fit in the Cure catalog because it's basically a Smith solo project with Anderson the only other player on every track and Lol Tolhurst primarily assigned to buying booze and drugs for his and Smith's then-raging vices. But the psychedelic feel is very similar to the Banshees' Hyaena, so it's almost like a companion piece to that album.

Anderson was a real beast of a player. Brought big bottom to the sound, and struck great balance between playing it straight-ahead and being sly with the nuance. Concert is probably my favorite overall official release. As much as lightning-wristed Boris Williams is seen as 'the' Cure drummer, he could occasionally get a little cutesy. I think they rocked harder with Anderson.
The Cure have always been a really good live act. I've seen several lineups and I've never been disappointed. Lollapalooza in 2013 was especially epic - huge crowd - mist rolling in off of Lake Michigan. It was fantastic.
I can watch the "In Orange" set three times in a row without getting tired of it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:10pm
I can watch the "In Orange" set three times in a row without getting tired of it.
A real fan would watch it four times without getting tired of it, poseur.

Never seen it, tho I recall it on sale back in the day. I'm a-gonna see what bounties the Internet provides …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:10pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:59pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I love The Top.

Weirdly I don’t own any Cure music but whenever I hear a song by them it is one I like and I think I should.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I know one Cure song and I like it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:28pm
If it's "Friday I'm in Love," I'm impressed and confused.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:53pm
revbob wrote:
That is the one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
That is the one.
Holy fuck. I'm impressed and confused. It's an absolutely perfect pop song, but so pop that I surprised it's in your wheelhouse.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Never got the love for that one to be honest, it's ok.

If we're talking the best Cure song, for me it's Boys Don't Cry.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Never got the love for that one to be honest, it's ok.
Boo!
If we're talking the best Cure song, for me it's Boys Don't Cry.
An honourable choice. It'd be somewhere in my top 5, I imagine.

edit: Nope, when you did a top 5, it wasn't there.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
That is the one.
Holy fuck. I'm impressed and confused. It's an absolutely perfect pop song, but so pop that I surprised it's in your wheelhouse.
Yeah I don't know why. I mean I do like other poppy stuff, hell the Ramones are poppy as hell. I think most pop music is forced lowest common denominator crap but if it happens naturally it can be good shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 9:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
That is the one.
Yeah I don't know why. I mean I do like other poppy stuff, hell the Ramones are poppy as hell. I think most pop music is forced lowest common denominator crap but if it happens naturally it can be good shit.
i get that completely. As much as my favoured stuff is far away from pop, there's a part of me that can be entranced by the pure sugar.