Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
JennyB wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:32am
Silent Majority wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:05am

And there's absolutely no damage by admitting it. Hell, they'd almost certainly get credit for growth and the like. I mean, I've seen some of the jokes I've made here from a decade ago and will wince. Playing fast and loose with the ironic tone as cover. Get older, become more self-reflective, try to be better. Duh.
I think Jen's right - they probably believe their own rationalisations. Goddamn, but fuck the person I was just two years ago (and may I forever feel this way).
Right. Same. I love them and I think they have done more than their fair share of penance (for lack of a better word), but just admit you were douchebags.
I think we've seen recently that showing growth doesn't seem to give you any points if you have something distasteful in your past.
Who are you referring to?
Oh that recent James Gunn kerfuffle.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: I miss the Beastie Boys

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:18pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I think Jen's right - they probably believe their own rationalisations. Goddamn, but fuck the person I was just two years ago (and may I forever feel this way).
Right. Same. I love them and I think they have done more than their fair share of penance (for lack of a better word), but just admit you were douchebags.
I think we've seen recently that showing growth doesn't seem to give you any points if you have something distasteful in your past.
That's not the greatest example. That was Nazi nerds weaponising and parodying an ignorant understanding of social justice.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:

That's not the greatest example. That was Nazi nerds weaponising and parodying an ignorant understanding of social justice.
Sure, but ignorant people are still out there misinterpreting things.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I know that's just generalizing but it might be a reason they're reluctant to own up to anything.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 5:15pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I know that's just generalizing but it might be a reason they're reluctant to own up to anything.
Isn't there a framing distinction between whether you "out" yourself versus being exposed by someone with an agenda? I mean, yeah, some people will lose their nut because it's what they do, but most, I imagine, would respect that kind of coming clean.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:

Isn't there a framing distinction between whether you "out" yourself versus being exposed by someone with an agenda? I mean, yeah, some people will lose their nut because it's what they do, but most, I imagine, would respect that kind of coming clean.
Yeah, I think there is, but I also think it's between difficult and impossible to predict what the public is going to think of anything anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 6:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yeah, I think there is, but I also think it's between difficult and impossible to predict what the public is going to think of anything anymore.
Fair enough, but not all segments of the public count the same, and the people who would flip out probably don't enter in the BB sphere anyway, so who cares.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
Goddamn, but fuck the person I was just two years ago (and may I forever feel this way).
I was already saying this about you two years ago! I'm a trendsetter. :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

License to Ill was the first time I felt rebellious when it came to music. I was not allowed to purchase it, but I did check out a copy (on vinyl) from the library and secretly tape it without my mom and dad finding out. It was a really cool feeling! I think I learned a little something about the power of music.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 12:43pm
License to Ill was the first time I felt rebellious when it came to music. I was not allowed to purchase it, but I did check out a copy (on vinyl) from the library and secretly tape it without my mom and dad finding out. It was a really cool feeling! I think I learned a little something about the power of music.
Hoy dittos that, except substitute Bruce Spangleburger's Human Touch.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

My parents never restricted music. That is such a foreign concept to me. I'm very lucky, I guess. My dad always liked to listen to anything new I discovered. My mom kind of stuck with her Buddy Holly/Everly Brothers thing, but never kept me from buying music I wanted to hear.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 2:48pm
My parents never restricted music. That is such a foreign concept to me. I'm very lucky, I guess. My dad always liked to listen to anything new I discovered. My mom kind of stuck with her Buddy Holly/Everly Brothers thing, but never kept me from buying music I wanted to hear.
I was the last of six kids with parents in their sixties by the time I hit my adolescence. They couldn't give a fuck what I was listening to as long as it wasn't so loud that they couldn't her the television. At the same time, my mother was cool enough that I once sent her a list of albums to buy for me when she went into the big city. Without any hesitation, she bought Dead Kennedys In God We Trust, Inc. and Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady. When she passes and the family has to submit stories for the funeral, that's going to be mine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:15pm
JennyB wrote:
I was the last of six kids with parents in their sixties by the time I hit my adolescence. They couldn't give a fuck what I was listening to as long as it wasn't so loud that they couldn't her the television. At the same time, my mother was cool enough that I once sent her a list of albums to buy for me when she went into the big city. Without any hesitation, she bought Dead Kennedys In God We Trust, Inc. and Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady. When she passes and the family has to submit stories for the funeral, that's going to be mine.
Nice. I mean, not about your mom's future passing. But about her album purchases.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Nice. I mean, not about your mom's future passing. But about her album purchases.
Pretty cool woman. She grew up in occupied Holland, worked with the Underground (forgery and other document fraud, not, like, blowing up dams), and her family was on a circuit of those who hid Jews to try to smuggle them out of the country. And she met my dad when the Canadian army liberated her city.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:45pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Pretty cool woman. She grew up in occupied Holland, worked with the Underground (forgery and other document fraud, not, like, blowing up dams), and her family was on a circuit of those who hid Jews to try to smuggle them out of the country. And she met my dad when the Canadian army liberated her city.
I think I knew this - sounds like an amazing woman.
Got a Rake? Sure!