Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 1:09pm
Have a feeling they're not the same groups. Think Cleary and the Partisans only made a single album and then moved on, or Cleary quit the business possibly.
Yeah, you're right about that. Discogs correctly funnels one to The Partisans band that Cleary was part of, which is not the seminal punk group. Oh well!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:30pm
Wolter wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 9:20pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 7:21pm
Wolter wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 3:23pm
Wolter wrote:

Jesse from Op Ivy comes to mind as well, though I guess I like most of what he’s done when he’s actually done things.
OH WAIT: THE FUCKING LA’S.
Oh yeah, and maybe XTC to an extent. That La's debut was perfect then....nothing.
I mean, XTC released quite a few excellent albums over a two decade period.

EDIT: but they really haven’t put out a lot since.
Andy Partridge has released plenty since XTC called it a day. Plus all the work on their reissue campaign.
The original question was bands who botched it up a bit, and I thought XTC did that with their withdrawal from live shows when it looked like they were about to break big.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 1:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:

OH WAIT: THE FUCKING LA’S.
Oh yeah, and maybe XTC to an extent. That La's debut was perfect then....nothing.

Andy Partridge has released plenty since XTC called it a day. Plus all the work on their reissue campaign.
The original question was bands who botched it up a bit, and I thought XTC did that with their withdrawal from live shows when it looked like they were about to break big.
That's an interesting aspect of Andy's stage firight. Less time on stage gave more time to be inventive in the studio. Although it meant less people would get to see them live which is a real shame we were blessed by the bands incredible songwriting ability and some of the finest music ever made.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

drowninghere wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:28pm
Andrew Eldritch / The Sisters of Mercy - only 3 studio albums and then almost 30 years without any new recorded output, despite essentially existing and touring the entire time. Their situation reminds me of a somewhat less critically acclaimed (but more commercially popular) My Bloody Valentine, but without ever having released the equivalent of mbv. Hard to fathom, but like Joe, Prince and George Michael and probably many others, it seemed to start with a dispute with their record company and somehow Eldritch never got it together to record again.
Definitely. The Sisters are interesting because they've never ceased to exist (even if they're really just Eldritch at this point) - but I don't think they've released anything since 1992. I do recall Eldritch claiming he'd definitely release something if Trump were actually elected because he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut.

Meanwhile...the Mission keep chugging along.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 1:55pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

That's an interesting aspect of Andy's stage firight. Less time on stage gave more time to be inventive in the studio. Although it meant less people would get to see them live which is a real shame we were blessed by the bands incredible songwriting ability and some of the finest music ever made.
Although fairly familiar with the XTC story, must admit i was still a bit taken aback to see them mentioned in such a thread. But then, I looked up their discography and am quite literally flabbergasted they didnt have more hits. I would have bet a years salary on Making Plans for Nigel making the top 10 and cant begin to fathom that Generals and Majors didnt even break the top 30. What the fuck was wrong with people back then?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 2:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Although fairly familiar with the XTC story, must admit i was still a bit taken aback to see them mentioned in such a thread. But then, I looked up their discography and am quite literally flabbergasted they didnt have more hits. I would have bet a years salary on Making Plans for Nigel making the top 10 and cant begin to fathom that Generals and Majors didnt even break the top 30. What the fuck was wrong with people back then?
Yeah it is a bit baffling but they were always an albums band. Also back then there was just so much great music to listen to.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 2:37pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah it is a bit baffling but they were always an albums band. Also back then there was just so much great music to listen to.
I’m surprised to hear Generals and Majors didn’t make top 30. It would be interesting to know how many copies it sold though as Marky said there were a lot of great singles in competition at that time.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I’m surprised to hear Generals and Majors didn’t make top 30. It would be interesting to know how many copies it sold though as Marky said there were a lot of great singles in competition at that time.
Can’t answer that but looking at the chart does bring back alright how much great music was around at that time. Up to 80/81 was the high point I think until the new romantic stuff began to dilute the quality too much. Still G&M is minimum top 5 in any world I’d be proud to live in.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Can’t answer that but looking at the chart does bring back alright how much great music was around at that time. Up to 80/81 was the high point I think until the new romantic stuff began to dilute the quality too much. Still G&M is minimum top 5 in any world I’d be proud to live in.
Even more surprising Towers Of London didn’t make Top 30 either which I’d have thought was their biggest hit.
Senses’ made #10 and Sgt Rock #16.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Even more surprising Towers Of London didn’t make Top 30 either which I’d have thought was their biggest hit.
Bit like Skids for me, in that I remember them too as a big band but they didn’t have as much success as my memory suggests to me. Working for the yankee dollar is a surefire No.1 for me but just about broke the top 20.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

X Ray Spex seems like an obvious choice, no?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 5:12pm
Germ Free was a top 20 hit (just) but they didn’t release a lot.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 9:46pm
JennyB wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 5:12pm
Germ Free was a top 20 hit (just) but they didn’t release a lot.
They released 5 singles 3 of which made the top 30 and 1 made the top 50. That's a pretty good return.

Oh Bondage Up Yours! - Didn't chart but I'm sure it was a number 1 in the Indie chart.
The Day The World Turned Day-Glo - No. 23
Identity - No. 24
Germfree Adolescents - No. 19
Highly Inflammable - No. 45

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Bit like Skids for me, in that I remember them too as a big band but they didn’t have as much success as my memory suggests to me. Working for the yankee dollar is a surefire No.1 for me but just about broke the top 20.
The Skids were/are fantastic. Loads of T.O.T.P's performances (missed a huge trick here / The Clash).

13 singles released 10 out 13 charted with 3 top 20's and 2 just outside the top 30.

Charles - Their first independent (No Bad records) release bfore they signed for the Virgin dollar.
The Saints are Coming - No. 48 later covered by U2/Green Day and made No. 1 in 2006.
Into the Valley - No. 10 what a brilliant single.
Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Working for the Yankee Dollar - No. 20
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Goodbye Civilian - No. 52
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Stuart Adamson leaves the band two further singles released but fail to chart. I didn't like those last couple of singles or the album "Joy" at the time but listening recently it's pretty decent it just was not the same rebel rousing anthemic Skids we wanted.
Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

Well al I can say is "Albert Tatlock were fucking proud of him".

The Skids just one of many incredible bands from that period. We were truly spoiled.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 11:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The Skids were/are fantastic. Loads of T.O.T.P's performances (missed a huge trick here / The Clash).

13 singles released 10 out 13 charted with 3 top 20's and 2 just outside the top 30.

Charles - Their first independent (No Bad records) release bfore they signed for the Virgin dollar.
The Saints are Coming - No. 48 later covered by U2/Green Day and made No. 1 in 2006.
Into the Valley - No. 10 what a brilliant single.
Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Working for the Yankee Dollar - No. 20
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Goodbye Civilian - No. 52
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Stuart Adamson leaves the band two further singles released but fail to chart. I didn't like those last couple of singles or the album "Joy" at the time but listening recently it's pretty decent it just was not the same rebel rousing anthemic Skids we wanted.
Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

Well al I can say is "Albert Tatlock were fucking proud of him".

The Skids just one of many incredible bands from that period. We were truly spoiled.
Yes very true. I'd guess it was a golden age for guitar based rock and/or what would come to be known as indie, though whether we realised it at the time or not I'm not sure. I do try and listen to what the guitar-based bands are doing today, likes of Arctic Monkeys, Kills or Killers (always get them confused), Bloc Party etc and while I find some of it decent, I cant escape the feeling that it was all done many years ago and in a much better way. About 10-15 years ago my then partner was a huge Franz Ferdinand fan so ended up going to see them a few times and thought they were ok for a time but I quickly wearied as they just felt like Skids-lite to me. I suppose back then bands had it easier because it was all new at the time and so very vibrant. Bliss it was to be alive at that dawn as they say....