Re: Need advice quick

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:19pm
Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:11pm
is everyone's expectations for the next stuff I produce going to be really high in light of declining the invitation to this band?
I expect to grow gills and wings after just one listen, and then one new superpower mutation every five listens thereafter.
Believe me, if I could just get the gills right, I could die happy.
Aquaman happy or Sub-mariner happy?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
is everyone's expectations for the next stuff I produce going to be really high in light of declining the invitation to this band?
I expect to grow gills and wings after just one listen, and then one new superpower mutation every five listens thereafter.
Well, Aquaman's usual costume is better than Namor's green underwear, but if Namor was wearing the newer duds as below, I'd go with him since he has ankle wings and that's hard to beat.

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well, Aquaman's usual costume is better than Namor's green underwear, but if Namor was wearing the newer duds as below, I'd go with him since he has ankle wings and that's hard to beat.

Namor also thinks land-people are fucksticks and it's hard to refute that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:55pm
Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Namor also thinks land-people are fucksticks and it's hard to refute that.
He's a fish-man after my own heart.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I support your decision. They look a little too precious.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'd do it. Playing most music is pretty fun regardless of if the music is all that good. Plus getting exposure is always a plus. You might be able to steer the band as well, not unlike Topper.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 4:17pm
I'd do it. Playing most music is pretty fun regardless of if the music is all that good. Plus getting exposure is always a plus. You might be able to steer the band as well, not unlike Topper.
Is this the "It's not your fault" moment every Brooose lifer inevitably goes through after about 10 shows too many? :hmm:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 4:54pm
matedog wrote:
Is this the "It's not your fault" moment every Brooose lifer inevitably goes through after about 10 shows too many? :hmm:

My 90s music admission is all you are going to get.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
It can be, but what if it takes up all your time, when you have other music to be doing as well?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 5:59pm
matedog wrote:
It can be, but what if it takes up all your time, when you have other music to be doing as well?
I'm with Matey here. A lot depends on what you're doing to pay the rent: if you like or don't mind it, even if it's deathly dull, or if it literally is breaking your back (my sad story since I was 15). Emphasize the "play" in playing music. And if you're dead serious about actually making a living playing music, even if it's not your fave or even like it much, consider alternatives work-wise. Maybe it's not so bad, say, working in a cubicle on a computer or whatever peeps do to pay the rent these days. I wouldn't know. But I do know that in 35 years of playing in bands, 90% of them were original bands with a focus on music I liked/loved. No money, of course, cuz all us peeps were not serious/fuck ups/bad luck, whatever. So it's really a series of highly personal decisions you've got to make re: how you want to travel through life, man. Your music, the real work - YOU wil have to make time for and find the all the various energies to fulfill your dreams according to your own capabilities and fates. All the best, Kory.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Well, I met with her last night and it seems she's into dropping the material from that band, starting something that's more angular post-punk, and is open to me bringing in some of the trip-hop stuff I want to do as well. I don't really have an excuse any more except that i need to figure out if it's more important for me to work alone or not.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:35pm
Well, I met with her last night and it seems she's into dropping the material from that band, starting something that's more angular post-punk, and is open to me bringing in some of the trip-hop stuff I want to do as well. I don't really have an excuse any more except that i need to figure out if it's more important for me to work alone or not.
Cool deal. I hope it works out in a fulfilling way.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Come be our drummer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Imperious Rex!

But, wow, it seems like they/she are willing to address your concerns. I think you're right in boiling it down to the deciding point—are you fundamentally a work-alone guy? Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are. Otherwise, get measured for your pink suit!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:44pm
matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Come be our drummer.
Do you have an aversion to 16th note hi hats with unorthodox, dance-y accents?