What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Jan 2018, 8:21pm

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:01pm
I think the Futureheads had something to say. Maximo Park, with about three songs that I like, fall into the category of middle tier landfill indie.
I want this to be an official genre. It'd make things much easier for me.
The Pigeon Detectives, a shit band I very much love, are lower tier landfill indie.
I can't tell whether that's a dreadful band name or kind of catchy.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13592
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Silent Majority » 17 Jan 2018, 8:26pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:01pm
I think the Futureheads had something to say. Maximo Park, with about three songs that I like, fall into the category of middle tier landfill indie.
I want this to be an official genre. It'd make things much easier for me.
The Pigeon Detectives, a shit band I very much love, are lower tier landfill indie.
I can't tell whether that's a dreadful band name or kind of catchy.
Their songs Take Her Back and I Found Out will take five minutes to listen to and give you their flavour.

The Cribs, that very good band that Johnny Marr briefly joined, wrote a brilliant song about them called Our Bovine Public. "You'd never exist if you wasn't generic/you have to impress our bovine public...you never say nothing/so you will always mean nothing to me."
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Jan 2018, 8:35pm

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:01pm
I think the Futureheads had something to say. Maximo Park, with about three songs that I like, fall into the category of middle tier landfill indie.
I want this to be an official genre. It'd make things much easier for me.
The Pigeon Detectives, a shit band I very much love, are lower tier landfill indie.
I can't tell whether that's a dreadful band name or kind of catchy.
Their songs Take Her Back and I Found Out will take five minutes to listen to and give you their flavour.

The Cribs, that very good band that Johnny Marr briefly joined, wrote a brilliant song about them called Our Bovine Public. "You'd never exist if you wasn't generic/you have to impress our bovine public...you never say nothing/so you will always mean nothing to me."
Their two most popular songs, according to Spotify (which now believes I like them). One of those bands, I suppose, that are fun enough while they're playing but leave no impression whatsoever once something else comes on.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8813
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Inder » 18 Jan 2018, 1:51am

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:01pm
I think the Futureheads had something to say. Maximo Park, with about three songs that I like, fall into the category of middle tier landfill indie.
I want this to be an official genre. It'd make things much easier for me.
The Pigeon Detectives, a shit band I very much love, are lower tier landfill indie.
Oh man, this takes me back.



What a great song.

Agree with what Doc and Kory said about Maximo Park — had a buddy super in to them, but they sounded pretty blah.

Also, mid-2000s British guitar/landfill indie will forever be Milburn for me —



OH AND REMEMBER RAZORLIGHT?


WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid » 18 Jan 2018, 8:22am

I’ve been listening to this a lot. Great band...love the way they mix the sound of 80’s Springsteen with a contemporary feel.
D748E452-0579-45BC-9641-F060E923EE5F.jpeg
D748E452-0579-45BC-9641-F060E923EE5F.jpeg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 406 times

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Jan 2018, 2:09pm

Image
A fair overlap with Cocteau Twins, but Norwegian, so there's probably a herring undertone to it all.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37778
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 18 Jan 2018, 3:33pm

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 6:17pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 4:52pm


I think the most recent copy I obtained was via Marky, who played around with stuff (as is his wont) and included some additional takes and backing tracks that we had each accumulated thru various sources.
If you ever get time and think of it, could you post the tracklist so's I may compare? I'm not sure if I have that version.
I was wrong (sorta). Marky's work-up of CZ is the regular running order of Levene's boot. The outtakes set is separate and the same as this: http://darkcircleroom4.blogspot.ca/2014 ... oughs.html
There are two slightly different vinyl boots of CZ. One of them has slightly longer takes of a couple of takes. I have one of the vinyls and the upload is taken from that. A lot of what is floating around the web is sourced from mp3's.
Do you know offhand any easy way to tell which one I have?
I have only heard the one I have. I've never heard the other one so I can not confirm if the tracks are that much longer. But I have read about it and that Levene issued the album twice.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8813
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Inder » 18 Jan 2018, 6:31pm

Image

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid » 18 Jan 2018, 6:44pm

Inder wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 6:31pm
Image
Have not heard this one in years, but it’s really good.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8773
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 18 Jan 2018, 8:25pm

Image

Gwenno—Y Dydd Olaf

One of the singers from the Pipettes now makes strangely addictive laid-back electronic pop, sung in Welsh. I've been listening on and off for a couple months now and can't seem to put it down.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Jan 2018, 8:34pm

Image
This is good. Much better than Dave Matthews or REO Speedwagon.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Jan 2018, 7:44pm

Image
Music from la décennie Hoy mais sans le Hoy.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8773
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 19 Jan 2018, 11:05pm

Listening to lots of Pixies because a friend needs me to play in his band for a Pixies tribute night as a favor. I never really got into them so this is a unique experience. Do people here like them?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15159
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Rat Patrol » 19 Jan 2018, 11:17pm

Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:05pm
Listening to lots of Pixies because a friend needs me to play in his band for a Pixies tribute night as a favor. I never really got into them so this is a unique experience. Do people here like them?
Kim Deal circa '88-92 stirred a funny feeling in young Rattie's loins achievable today only by joylessly mainlining cheap bot-imported cialis. Then I actually listened to the music.


Yes, I would say 'like' them is the understatement of the century.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76295
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Jan 2018, 7:31am

Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:05pm
Listening to lots of Pixies because a friend needs me to play in his band for a Pixies tribute night as a favor. I never really got into them so this is a unique experience. Do people here like them?
Indeedily-doodily! I even like the first reunion album (less so the second).
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laxman and 15 guests