Cut the crap

Online music exchange.
revolutionrock_
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Cut the crap

Post by revolutionrock_ »

MadModWorld wrote:
Flex wrote:If you can't afford it (and how the fuck is it 12 pounds? Isn't that like 24 dollars or something?
I meant around £12 and I was referring to the average price of first-hand CDs in record shops in England. HMV & the like.
revolutionrock_ wrote:
well i don't think it good to talk about illegal downloads on a fan forum like this...
Why not?
This whole section is about file-sharing anyway.
well I find this section to be for the bootlegs... that is not offical stuff...

"Fucking long, innit?"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:EDIT: I should really learn to not hit "quote" when I mean "edit."
Learning just means they were right and you were wrong.
I wish I could quit you, Flex.

Ooh, Brokeback Mountain/Heath Ledger reference. Topical.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

revolutionrock_ wrote:
MadModWorld wrote:
Flex wrote:If you can't afford it (and how the fuck is it 12 pounds? Isn't that like 24 dollars or something?
I meant around £12 and I was referring to the average price of first-hand CDs in record shops in England. HMV & the like.
revolutionrock_ wrote:
well i don't think it good to talk about illegal downloads on a fan forum like this...
Why not?
This whole section is about file-sharing anyway.
well I find this section to be for the bootlegs... that is not offical stuff...
I know what a bootleg is...

I remember learning what a bootleg was actually, 'cos my dad was buying a Bob Dylan one offa some guy. He talked about Pirates & such, man I respected my dad a lot for being involved with pirates...

Anyway.
If people want to support artists then they have to buy the CD in a place where the money will get to the artist, not in a charity shop or an independent record shop for example.
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...

Flex

Post by Flex »

MadModWorld wrote:Anyway.
If people want to support artists then they have to buy the CD in a place where the money will get to the artist, not in a charity shop or an independent record shop for example.

A couple things:

(1) I don't know what a charity shop is but I imagine it's like a thrift store or something. Different ways to say things confuse and enrage me. :shifty:

(2) The money still goes to the artist if it's bought at an independent record shop, unless you mean you're buying it used. Then, no it doesn't. But indies still have to buy their stock of cds from the record label via distributors and a portion of that ends up going to the band.

(3) The issue of whether the band is being supported is sort of a moral one, but it's kind of beside the point. the point is: if we start sharing music or videos that can be legally purchased we will be shut down. It has happened once before and it will happen again if we start sharing readily available music. Any of us, but most likely Inder, could also become a legal target for the RIAA and their ilk. That's why we can't share stuff like this on the boards. Period.

(4) To be clear and so there are no hard feelings, I don't think anyone here is trying to pick on you or anything. Sometimes it's just good to give reminders of the boundaries in sharing music that we can't cross and why we can't cross them. This is about as good a time as any to do that.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:Ooh, Brokeback Mountain/Heath Ledger reference. Topical.
I figured quoting "10 Things I Hate About You" would be too subtle. Plus I only saw that movie once. In a bar. While I was bombed out of my skull. And I still hated it.

Oh, and - I second everything Flexo Flexerson says above.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

(1)I think it's pretty much a thrift store. You buy things for a set price and the money goes to charity. Or so they say...

(2) Yes, I was talking about second-hand.

(3) It's also difficult to argue both for and against. But I understand we IMCT could get shut down.

(4) I didn't think anyone was having a go at me, but my paranoia would probably have kicked in some time sooner or later so thanks for clearing that up.

I do love simple points...
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:I figured quoting "10 Things I Hate About You" would be too subtle. Plus I only saw that movie once. In a bar. While I was bombed out of my skull. And I still hated it.
I remember that movie, sort of. I don't really understand how people can defend it as something that's actually good and worthwhile though. It is... not those things.
Is it too late to change all of my posts in this thread to "Wolter is the homo-gay?"

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I figured quoting "10 Things I Hate About You" would be too subtle. Plus I only saw that movie once. In a bar. While I was bombed out of my skull. And I still hated it.
I remember that movie, sort of. I don't really understand how people can defend it as something that's actually good and worthwhile though. It is... not those things.
Is it too late to change all of my posts in this thread to "Wolter is the homo-gay?"
It's never too late to make a gay joke at my expense. My gay-homo-fairy boyfriend does it all the time when we're having gay sex. Because we're gay.*

*Pre-emptively edited to make me sound really gay.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'm straight.
ZING!

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'm straight.
ZING!
Man, I just got Flexed.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
It does have Alex Mack in it though. And the dad was kind of funny.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Wolter wrote:
MadModWorld wrote:Why not?
matedog wrote:Part of why we can keep posting boots and stuff is that we don't post stuff available for sale.
That's why not. You weren't here when they shut down the "original" IMCT.
EDIT: I should really learn to not hit "quote" when I mean "edit."
What happened originally? What was being traded? Was it flagrant?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:Part of why we can keep posting boots and stuff is that we don't post stuff available for sale.
Not really. Inder could probably clarify it better than me, but I think it had something to do with "I Fought the Law."

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Not really. Inder could probably clarify it better than me, but I think it had something to do with "I Fought the Law."
Oh sweet sweet irony.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
It does have Alex Mack in it though. And the dad was kind of funny.
Oh and for the record I've only seen part of it and it was in my sociology class at college. That's yet another reason why have nothing but absolute disdain for liberal arts majors.