Manchester 1984 upgrade?

Online music exchange.
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Manchester 1984 upgrade?

Post by IkarisOne »

My copy is ancient and sounds like muffled ass. Does anyone have the recent-ish upgrade?

Jericho
Corner Soul

Re: Manchester 1984 upgrade?

Post by Jericho »

IkarisOne wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 11:42pm
My copy is ancient and sounds like muffled ass. Does anyone have the recent-ish upgrade?
I used to have a cassette of this gig long ago. I too would be interested if anyone has a decent recording.

This was the only time I ever saw any version of The Clash. I was still at Secondary school and it had a big effect on me. After the gig I couldn't wait for the album to come out, it seemed to be forever and then it finally was released was crestfallen. Nothing can ever take away the feeling I had leaving the Apollo doors that night. Truly life changing.

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

IkarisOne wrote:
This is probably the same version you have but I'm not wise to '84 bootlegs

https://mega.nz/folder/bRpilJJa#I2_nVhZ ... r/eRxwyRIa

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

yetaca wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 3:17am
IkarisOne wrote:
This is probably the same version you have but I'm not wise to '84 bootlegs

https://mega.nz/folder/bRpilJJa#I2_nVhZ ... r/eRxwyRIa
It is. But thank you anyway.

xtopher
Corner Soul

Post by xtopher »

This seems to better than the MP3 version: https://mega.nz/folder/EiJjWSAS#fIPPAy4v7SBoqKzOP_6HNw

It's louder anyway. I think it's lossless...seems to cap out around 19k HZ.

The info file does not mention the gen, so not sure if it's the master or 1st gen or blend BMC mentions, or some n-generation copy. I think I got it off the Megalist...it's brickwalled like a lot of the stuff from there, but that's pretty easy to fix. I won't inflict my own "remastered" version on the world!

-c

Jericho
Corner Soul

Post by Jericho »

xtopher wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 9:29pm
This seems to better than the MP3 version: https://mega.nz/folder/EiJjWSAS#fIPPAy4v7SBoqKzOP_6HNw

The info file does not mention the gen, so not sure if it's the master or 1st gen or blend BMC mentions, or some n-generation copy. I think I got it off the Megalist...it's brickwalled like a lot of the stuff from there, but that's pretty easy to fix. I won't inflict my own "remastered" version on the world!

-c
BRILLIANT! This sounds identical to the version I had on cassette back in the day. Police and Thieves is complete on this version. I'd love someone to give it the "remastered" treatment if they have the time. I have no clue what "brick walling" means - would de-brickwalling make it sound better?
The first half of this gig sounds as I remember it, the second half isn't quite as good, maybe the recorder moved position. Still an electric gig.
Many thanks for uploading this, this gig means a lot to me. Cheers!

xtopher
Corner Soul

Post by xtopher »

Brickwalling means the volume levels have been boosted so there are no peaks and valleys - if you look at the recording in an audio program, it's one uniform fat line (ie, a brickwall). A lot of the shows on the mega list were brickwalled, but whether this happened during the transfer to digital or later as a way to boost the volume, I'm not sure. Recordings can be brickwalled to the point of distortion, including this one, although it's not too bad.
Marky could weigh in on his process better than me, but I know he has had to un-brickwall some of the sources he's worked with for his remasters. With Audacity at least, if you run a high-pass filter on the recording, you can then de-amplify the recording and restore the peaks and valleys. I'm not sure if this 100% fixes things or whether some damage is left, but at least the recording looks better and you experience dynamics when you listen to it.
And you are welcome!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

xtopher wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 9:29pm

-c
Xcellent, Xtopher.