Hong Kong detective work thread

Online music exchange.
Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Hong Kong detective work thread

Post by Tim Bucknall »

I've started a new thread so as not to clog up the megalist thread,
I received this email this morning, I replied thanking him and telling him it came off AM not FM
he's the 2nd person to suggest BFBS as a potential source , I emailed them a few days ago

"Hello Tim

Thanks for the message.

I checked, and I can't find any trace of a Clash recording in our archive, and I have to say I think it's extremely unlikely that RTHK would have run the concert in 1982.

I see some versions of the recording say it was taken from FM radio - that could only have been Commercial Radio in Hong Kong, but again it's honestly a slim chance that it was broadcast. BFBS, the British army radio is another slight possibility as they used to do some stuff here.

I've mentioned this on air to see if anyone remembers if it was broadcast, and if so, where. I know there are people still around who went to the gig. As it stands I think its probably just a bootleg that might have been rebroadcast somewhere else at some time, but was almost certainly not on air here in 1982.

Best of luck anyway, and I'll let you know if I get any more information.

Hugh Chiverton
Head, English Programmes RTHK"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Hong Kong detective work thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim Bucknall wrote:I've started a new thread so as not to clog up the megalist thread,
I received this email this morning, I replied thanking him and telling him it came off AM not FM
he's the 2nd person to suggest BFBS as a potential source , I emailed them a few days ago

"Hello Tim

Thanks for the message.

I checked, and I can't find any trace of a Clash recording in our archive, and I have to say I think it's extremely unlikely that RTHK would have run the concert in 1982.

I see some versions of the recording say it was taken from FM radio - that could only have been Commercial Radio in Hong Kong, but again it's honestly a slim chance that it was broadcast. BFBS, the British army radio is another slight possibility as they used to do some stuff here.

I've mentioned this on air to see if anyone remembers if it was broadcast, and if so, where. I know there are people still around who went to the gig. As it stands I think its probably just a bootleg that might have been rebroadcast somewhere else at some time, but was almost certainly not on air here in 1982.

Best of luck anyway, and I'll let you know if I get any more information.

Hugh Chiverton
Head, English Programmes RTHK"

This is good work Tim.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

"Dear Mr Bucknall,

Thank you for your email of 1 September 2015 regarding the retrieval of certain audio recordings of performances by an artiste group “The Clash”.

Preliminary archive check revealed that the recording under concern was not found. Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Melodie Ho

For and on behalf of

Corporate Communications and Standards Unit

Radio Television Hong Kong"

so we're now down to BFBS or Commercial Radio Hong Kong, we're narrowing it down!

also its in AM Stereo which us Europeans never had so that may help narrow it down

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim Bucknall wrote:"Dear Mr Bucknall,

Thank you for your email of 1 September 2015 regarding the retrieval of certain audio recordings of performances by an artiste group “The Clash”.

Preliminary archive check revealed that the recording under concern was not found. Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Melodie Ho

For and on behalf of

Corporate Communications and Standards Unit

Radio Television Hong Kong"

so we're now down to BFBS or Commercial Radio Hong Kong, we're narrowing it down!

also its in AM Stereo which us Europeans never had so that may help narrow it down
Again this is really great work for the cause.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

its now 100% confirmed as coming from from Radio Commercial Hong Kong 864khz
http://www.881903.com/Page/ZH-TW/index.aspx

(analysing the freq of the whistles on the recording gave us the frequency and hence the station)

I need to speak to a cantonese speaker i know, i'll update you

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Tim Bucknall wrote:its now 100% confirmed as coming from from Radio Commercial Hong Kong 864khz

(analysing the freq of the whistles on the recording gave us the frequency and hence the station)

Wow Tim. This is some amazing work you're doing. I hope this search comes up well.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim Bucknall wrote:its now 100% confirmed as coming from from Radio Commercial Hong Kong 864khz

Impressive Tim. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia